Jesse Livermore suicide

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kingfisher3210, Dec 12, 2010.

1. This is what Jesse Livermore wrote in his suicide note to his wife:

My dear Nina: Can’t help it. Things have been bad with me. I am tired of fighting. Can’t carry on any longer. This is the only way out. I am unworthy of your love. I am a failure. I am truly sorry, but this is the only way out for me. Love Laurie"

After reading it, it send shivers throughout my body. It is a wake up call for all traders who are:

1) Ignoring family love at the cost of trading profits

2) Getting more and more greedier by taking phenomenal risks.

3) Complicating life through thinking or general mess

4) Not satisfied with the current wealth they have

5) Taking lot of stress,depression and anxiety medicines

6) Ignoring healthy living primarily because of trading stress

WAKE UP CALL. A millionaire of 20s ends up doing suicide.

kmiklas likes this.
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Actually there is a more simple explanation. It is pretty common knowledge that he was bi-polar or what was then known as being manic-depressive. Without proper medication, bi-polar disorder often leads to suicide. There is widespread mental illness in his family as evidenced through his three sons, all of which committed suicide.

It's my guess as well that his trading probably exasperated his mood cycles and his mood cycles most likely exasperated his p&l. What is amazing to me to this day is how one could become as successful as he did in spite of his mental illness. That truly is amazing.

3. Jesse had purchased some very expensive antique furniture.

The floor in the apartment wasn't level. His wife hired a contractor to saw the legs off so the furniture would be level.

I think this was the final straw.

:cool:

kmiklas likes this.
  4. That's because great traders aren't normal like you.

5. lol

Bipolar and Borderline Personality disorders are horrible curse of life.

6. Redneck

Redneck

Livermore did what any trader worth his salt would do – he cut his losses

If only he had learned to do that in the market – who knows how profitable he could have been – but he couldn’t…

Wasn't the first... and won't be the last...

Pretty simple really

RN

7. "trading more addictive than sex"....

HAHAHAHA

Just nice way of saying trading is selfdestructive. Because you lose it.

profit at any price. Price is too large for most. That is my friend true reason traders fail. Subconcious realisation that they dont want to be like sucessful traders as there is too much to be lost in life.

Only ones that have nothing to lose are good traders as exchange is favourable.

sad but true.

:eek:

Sekiyo likes this.
  8. 007Arb

007Arb

Livermore had been on a multi-year losing streak and never was the Livermore of old after the SEC was established in the 30s and banned some of the methods he used to move stocks.

9. livermore"s wife ....... 4 of her pervious husbands had commited suicide.

She either drives everyone to the brink or she knows a good hitman.

10. zdreg

zdreg

your response is insufficient. he left an eight page note. has that note ever been released?
    according to legend he died broke but my understanding is he left 5 million dollars.

#10     Dec 15, 2012