Jeopardy Question

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DaveV, Aug 29, 2018.

1. DaveV

DaveV

I finally got around to watching some old Jeopardy's on my DVR, and they had a trading related question, which I was ashamed that I could not answer:

From the Latin for "To Look At", they are investors out for short-term profit; Their money keeps the markets liquid & efficient.

I will post the answer tomorrow, assuming no answers. No, you shouldn't Google it.

tommcginnis likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I flunked 4 years of high school Latin, just so I could answer questions like this.
    It was a blast.

The first year, the guy was bitchy. I was a long-haired hippy-wannabe, and looked/played the slacker role with élon. Forrrrrr sure.
    So, the second year, I walked in, and he looks up with "Thomas!" (My proper Latin name, right?)
    "What're you doing here??? I saw you registered, but I never thought you'd stay with that choice."

And I had to explain to him -- I didn't see a purpose in the other languages. (Everyone seemed to take them as a joke, so I did, too.) But Latin! Whether I became a lawyer (as my mother announced, "cuz you argue *everything* like a Philadelphia Lawwwwyah.") or as was my dream, to be a forest ranger/wildlife biologist/Euell Gibbons guy..... I would want the Latin either way. For sure. For sure. So, I was there for vocabulary only. Maybe some etiological context -- absolutely. But anything else is extra, and not likely to gain favor. (And I was enough of a snotnose to 'require' things to interest me, before I would work at all. Hoooo boy. :rolleyes:)

He didn't really lay off until senior year.
    I was the only senior, and I just translated Caesar in the back of the room -- he'd come back, and we'd talk about politics, military campaigns, maybe culture some -- and then he'd hand me the vocab test that I'd burn through. Even acing those, I doubt I made better than a D, but.... I benefited hugely much.

Love your Jeopardy Q.

Solvitur Ambulando. (Et Vidi. :wtf: )

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    DaveV and Handle123 like this.
  3. speedo

speedo

Speculate

4. DaveV

DaveV

Correct. Well Speculators actually, but close enough.

tommcginnis likes this.
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Argh!!!!!!
    Not only did he miss the correct word (with a verb rather than the noun!) but

HE DIDN'T ANSWER IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION.

Jeeeeeez-oh-pete.

:p

6. speedo

speedo

My Latin is mediocre but my TV is awful.

tommcginnis and donnap like this.
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

Word is "Speculari" means one who observes, a spy....

learnt it reading "Against The Gods" by Peter L. Berstein.

Here is an interesting quote from the book pages 88-89, "Wealth was no longer something that had to be inherited from preceding generations: now it could be earned, discovered, accumulated, invested - and protected from loss." in reference to Lloyd's of London.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  8. DaveV

DaveV

I live about 10 houses from John Ratzenberger (Cliff Clavin the postman from the Cheers TV show). I ran into him a couple times during my daily walks and talked to him; very friendly guy.
    Anyway, if you really want some good laughs, go to Netflix and look up the episode on Cheers where Cliff Clavin was on Jeopardy.

tommcginnis likes this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

I remember that one!
    "What are 3 things not in my living room"? :D

tommcginnis likes this.
  10. JSOP

JSOP

What is the "Speculators"? And no I didn't google it.

#10     Aug 29, 2018
    tommcginnis and DaveV like this.