java using 200 MB of memory with only tws

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Cdntrader, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lwlee

lwlee

No one has said it yet but you can disable TWS features. Make sure you're using only the ones you need.

#11     Aug 16, 2006
  2. sim03

sim03

Not sure. I stick with defaults - Unlimited and None, and that works well, together with regular JRE cache and browser cache clearing.

One thing you could check is the size of that entire ...\cache folder shown in the "Location" box on the Temp Files Settings screen. For example, Right-click - Properties in Windows Explorer. Mine is under 10 MB, on each of 2 trading PCs.

#12     Aug 16, 2006
  3. thanks for suggestion. Id've done most of them and also found a newer build..1.5 version 8.

reloaded that and restarted tws. now 70MB memory usage. Much better. I'll ck back here tomorrow for an update during the full mkt hours.

#13     Aug 16, 2006
  4. Check the command line (-Xmx256M). TWS is set up to allow the heap to grow to 256M. If this is optimal or just the choice of a lazy programmer is another question for another thread.

#14     Aug 16, 2006
  5. I'm using the standalone version, and when it starts it uses maybe 50 meg, that quickly grows to 100 meg,

After an hour or two , it uses 200 meg. This is without any charts running.

Someting is eating up all this memory.

I run Excel and Quotetracker which both access the api, maybe thats the issue.

#15     Aug 16, 2006
  6. There has to be a memory leak. I gave it an extra 40 meg (set max memory to 200 meg) and by the end of the day it uses all of that up and starts to lock up.

#16     Aug 17, 2006

7. today tws started the day @ 70 mb and end @ 129 mb memory.

#17     Aug 17, 2006
  8. Do you access it with api functions, like Excel or 3rd party apps?

#18     Aug 17, 2006
  9. well, i have the same problems [again]...after a couple of hours platform just slows down so much to make any tradin' impossible...have to re-boot at least a couple of times per session and when i do log-in again it takes ages to get it up and runnin'.

#19     Aug 17, 2006
  10. no just a single tws window.

#20     Aug 17, 2006