Java or .NET

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by leveragize, Oct 8, 2011.

1. I am trying to develop some of my ideas into automated algorithms. I will probably start with IB, so Java appears to be a no-brainer.

However, I usually like to have a plan B. Most other retail brokers and/or data feeds are based on the Windows/.NET stack. This means that if I decide to leave IB, my Java strategies may have to be rewritten.

Should I stick with Java anyway, or should I use something like tradelink with C#/F#?

I am a software engineer and I can do both Java and .NET.

I do not want to deal with FIX and I try to avoid heavyweight trading platforms for now.

2. Mr_You

Mr_You

I would suggest using NinjaTrader or TradeLink and using C#.

If you need Tick-by-Tick strategies then you'll want to use Kinetick with NinjaTrader or IQFeed with others. IB only provides a snapshot data feed.

3. Teycir

Teycir

4. There is also IB's own ActiveX control. Have you guys compared the stability/reliability of these methods (IBCSharp, TradeLink, OCX)?

It seems that OCX is the most direct route because it comes directly from IB.

Do IBCSharp and TradeLink use their own implementations to communicate with IB through the socket interface?

I think TradeLink offers paid support. Is it also true for IBCSharp?