Java Charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by sharp10, Oct 31, 2007.

1. sharp10

sharp10

Hi guys-

I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble running Java Applets on Microsoft XP Pro edition.

I have tried everything I was told, but with no luck. Tried with explorer and mozilla but same issue.

When I click on the link that is supposed to start the applet, it won't start, and all I see is the window with a red X on top left corner.

Also, right after I have downloaded JAVA and try to authenticate the download, it does show that doesn't work properly.

Could anyone suggest anything?

Thanks for the help

2. Robby

Robby

Did you actually install Java by running the downloaded installer?
    Does Java show up as one of the installed applications through the control panel?
    Perhaps it was corrupted, you could uninstall whatever was installed then re-download and re-install.

3. sharp10

sharp10

Hi Robby-

Yes, i do have the Java icon.

I already did that twice.

I seem to think that because I connect trough a network that I need to do something with the proxy settings but I'm not sure how to do it.

The error I get from the Java console is that HTPP connection failed.

4. What do you mean "connected to a network"? Do your other applications need a weird network setting? Or proxy settings?

If not:

Try turning your firewalls off first (incl windows fw)

Then try turning your virus checker off

Then I would start with a clean reinstall of windows XP.

5. sharp10

sharp10

Kiwi_trader:

This is what i found from the Sun website that reflects what I'm experiencing:

Q: When I loaded my applet, it said "noninit" or "applet not initialized" in the browser's status bar. How can I identify the cause of the problem?

A: Follow these steps:

1. Select Java Console from the Java Plug-in Software Control Panel and run the applet again.
    2. Look at the error message in the Java Console.
    3. If you are accessing the applet through the network, make sure the proxy info shown in the Java Console is correct.
    4. Make sure all the class/JAR files are in the right directory.
    5. Make sure the converted HTML page is correct.
    6. Try the unconverted page with AppletViewer on the same machine. If it works, please recheck 3, 4, and 5 again.

Does it make sense to you?

I already have turned off all firewalls, pop up blockers and virus programs.

Thanks for your input.

6. Robby

Robby

Hi Sharp,

If you are able to access the internet with your browser then you should be able to run java applets. It doesn't require any unusual settings to run applets.
    In order to see if java has been installed properly, try running a java application on your computer, instead of an applet from a website. You can try the Stylepad.jar program which should be in your java installation. On my computer it is located in "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\demo\plugin\jfc\Stylepad".

If double clicking on it doesn't start it up then type in "java -jar stylepad.jar", your current directory must be the directory that the stylepad.jar file is located in. If java is working on your computer then it should start up the program, which is an editor.
    If that works then you could try running a simple applet from some website, preferrably a simple one, instead of your java charts.