java/C++ developers

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by SantCugatBCN, Nov 19, 2006.

1. andread

andread

I wonder how many people are willing to move to Sant Cugat.

#11     Nov 27, 2006
  2. I could see London. But who moves to Spain?

I don't know. I had a friend who went to London. But Spain? fat chance

#12     Nov 28, 2006
  3. just21

just21

The weather is better in Spain and the sost of living will be much lower.

#13     Nov 28, 2006
  4. andread

andread

Apparently Sant Cugat is basically Barcelona. They even have a metro station to go to the city. Which wouldn't be bad.
    I have to say that as a city I prefer Barcelona, but London does make some sense. Especially for inexperienced people.

#14     Nov 28, 2006
  5. I'm already in Spain, for example (Canary Islands), so moving to Barcelona is not a huge change for me. What I'm trying to understand is whether this is a deal of a lifetime for someone inexperienced like me.

Seems that this is sort of like running your own hedge fund, except you don't get paid money management fees and don't have to eat your losses.

This is http://www.swifttrade.com/index-prop.html. I did some googling and their risk management is very strict. Your start with, say, $15 to loose and if you did then you are done for the day. You can basically loose whatever you win on average and when you do you go home.

I'm assuming that developing a profitable high-frequency strategy takes at least a few months of research and you need to support yourself during that time, somehow, as there's no salary.

#15     Nov 28, 2006
  6. andread

andread

the question is also what you do if you fail. You pack your things and go back? This is something to consider if you have no experience

#16     Nov 28, 2006
  7. Failure is not an option! :D

Seriously, though, I won't have to "go back" to anything as I'm a freelance software developer with a flexible schedule.

Moving from sunny Tenerife to Barcelona in the winter is an entirely different matter.

#17     Nov 28, 2006
  8. andread

andread

:)

Then you should have enough time and money to try that for a few months.
    Failure is maybe an option, after all :)

oh, come on. Barcelona is not that bad. And I can imagine Tenerife can be quite hot in the summer

#18     Nov 28, 2006
  9. you´ll be in good company in sant cugat. private media headquarters are located here as well. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=PRVT many people from barcelona prefer to live in sant cugat. it´s not like we are in the boonies of rural spain here.

edit: we are looking for creativity to design and implement money making strategies, not connectivity building to exchanges etc.

#19     Jan 13, 2007
  10. nitro

nitro

I don't like point 4, otherwise it would be interesting to me...

nitro

#20     Jan 13, 2007