java applets problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babe714, Apr 14, 2002.

1. babe714

babe714

Read over FX Traders informative posts and did the following:
    settings>control panel >Java plugin >basic >unchecked enable java plugin ( disabling it) .
    Then was able to launch both Scottrade and Datek streamers .
    I probably won't be able to launch IB TWS now though since I disabled the plug in . Can't really check now because its shut down over the weekend . Thank you FX trader and everyone for your help.:)

#21     Apr 20, 2002
  2. You can still run IB TWS 4.0 standalone version.
    If you want to run browser version then use netscape (instead of IE 6.0).

#22     Apr 20, 2002
  3. babe714

babe714

Thats great to hear , everything will be back to normal for me now . The technical support at Scottrade and Datek had no clue . Thanks again .

#23     Apr 20, 2002
  4. white17

white17

Great !! Now maybe you guys can help me too. A few days ago I was attempting to run IB demo from their website. I downloaded the Javaplugin and attempted to login. The login button never completely filled but stayed partially gray. I quit at that point. Next I noticed that I no longer had sound on my machine. I uninstalled the plugin and everything is back to normal.

running NT4/SP6, 500mhz P3., 128 ram, IE5.5, dial-up at 33.6 MAX

Thanks

#24     Apr 20, 2002
  5. tom_p

tom_p

Glad that babe714 has solved his problem.
    I have a dual boot configuration (Win2K/WinME) with my trading done on Win2K. I use WinME for recreational purposes and have a similar problem to babe714 - IE eventually freezes (for WinME only) and I have to restart the computer to get it going again. I tried FX-Trader's suggestion and when I click on Java Plug-in 1.3.0_02 in Control Panel, I get a window saying "The directory name is invalid." followed by some path names. I cannot proceed any further. Is my Java Plug-in corrupted, and what can I do to remedy the situation?

#25     Apr 20, 2002
  6. Same for me. I scrape by in a computer hell world where IE fights Netscape on my desktop instead of the courts. Streamer doesn't load. I can't participate in activetrader.net forums. IB still works. Each day there is a little more deterioration somewhere. Sometimes I wonder if IB's java is attacking other java or is a bad java. Other times I wonder if Norton is stopping good java.

Hard being computer slow. What a mess the internet is for many people.

Geo.

#26     May 3, 2002
  7. jem

jem

this is a test in the past when I edited one of my posts I got some sort of error. I made a change in the jre thing. Now I will check it out. thanks. I am getting a runtime error and microsoft debugger. I need to be running something-- does anyone know what I am missing.

thanks

#27     May 4, 2002
  8. If you want run any MS Java software like your streaming quotes or chat applets
    (written for MS Java VM that is part of MS IE) then you must disable Sun Java Plugin for MS IE.
    Let´s assume that you have both IE and Netscape (Sun Java Plugin enabled for Netscape only).
    Then you have the following situation with respect to running IB TWS:

Standalone: yes
    Netscape: yes
    IE: no

#28     May 4, 2002
  9. Bsulli

Bsulli

The vast majority of java relating freezes with browser is due to very poorly written spyware that is easily and transparently installed on one's pc from visiting websites and downloading freeware from shareware sites that have append the program with one of zillions of spyware programs. Some people call them marketingware programs. No difference, both are disgusting.

download ad-ware 5.8 from www.lavasoftusa.com.

It's very rare that it doesn't find something installed on your pc.

Bsulli

#29     May 4, 2002
  10. jem

jem

I followed your adice bsulli and found 7 of those offending files. This is a test to see if it fixed the editing problem. It worked !!!!!

thank you very much it has been anoying me for months.

#30     May 4, 2002