java applets problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babe714, Apr 14, 2002.

1. babe714

babe714

I did what you said but found Microsoft IE already was unchecked . Thanks anyway

#11     Apr 18, 2002
  2. babe714

babe714

clicked on about and it said I have , Java(TM)2runtime Environment , standard edition 1.3.1_02

#12     Apr 18, 2002
  3. Savage,

I've seen a lot of weird things happen with computers. I don't doubt you - but this strange!

Mike

#13     Apr 19, 2002
  4. It might be that the Java Applet you are trying to run is using deprecated (no longer supported) methods from an older version of Java. I doubt that this would cause the machine to freeze though. Can you post a specific URL here so that I can check it out further?

Mike

#14     Apr 19, 2002
  5. babe714

babe714

sometimes when I click to launch a java applet it will say, errors on the page , then it will say , done with errors on the page

#15     Apr 19, 2002
  6. babe714,

Please post me a URL.

Mike

#16     Apr 19, 2002
  7. babe714

babe714

As far as url's where I have problems with freeze ups , running Dateks streamer never launches anymore , get the errors on the page message . Scottrade streamer starts to launch but then everything freezes . Also can't run the browser version of IB anymore, stand alone version works fine . Quote.com live charts work about 70% of the time .

#17     Apr 19, 2002
  8. How much & What kind of RAM are you utilizing??
    Processor Speed??......
    BUS??.....
    How big is your hard drive???
    I believe you mentioned you have dial up...who is your ISP??
    Do you live in the suburbs or city??
    Is you telephone CO running out of a slick??
    At what rate of BPS is your connectivity on the Web???
    Have you ever successfully ran a java applet ever on this machine???
    Let me give you a real world example. I have a friend with a lap top that runs skimpy RAM, w/ no BUS and his HD & ISP speed is a joke, and he has never been able to launch a Datek streamer or level II quote screen java based. IF he tries, the screen freezes and he has to do a hard shutdown. My point here is obviously getting at capacity.

#18     Apr 19, 2002
  9. babe714

babe714

Gateway 450 pent III 384 RAM 12 gig HD. Live in the city . The computer is getting outdated but I 've had all those previously mentioned applets working fine in the past .

#19     Apr 19, 2002
  10. First you must find out which Java your application is written to

IB TWS --> Sun Java (JRE 2, JavaPlugin)
    JTrader --> MS Java (MS Java VM, IE x.x)

The others I don´t know but in general it will be MS Java, if there is no explicit instruction to install Sun Java JRE. Therefore it is pretty clear that "can't run the browser version of IB anymore", if you disabled (unchecked) Sun JavaPlugin for your IE 6.0

But if you want to run application for MS Java it will get stuck if execution is done by Sun JavaPlugin. That´s why I suggested to disable Sun JavaPlugin. BTW, Sun Java JRE consists of two parts: Java Runtime (for standalone apps) and JavaPlugin (for browser apps).

#20     Apr 19, 2002