java applets problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babe714, Apr 14, 2002.

1. babe714

babe714

My computer frequently freezes up when I 'm at a website where I need to launch a java applet i.e. quote .com . Am runnning Win 98 . Have tried clearing cache , uninstall / install I.E.ver6 , installed virtual machine . Nothing seems to help , any ideas ?

2. carlp

carlp

Go into Control Panel (from Settings)

Click Internet Options

Then click the Advanced column

See what you have checked on that list. Play around with some of the options there. My guess is that your problem lies with one of the options on that list.

3. babe714

babe714

thanks but that was another thing I tried . In the advanced settings I made sure that JIT compiler was checked under microsoft virtual machine

4. ... maybe it's your firewall. Try to decrease security or turn it off .
    (bummer!)

Cheers! :)

5. savage

savage

If you have a Linksys or Netgear NIC card and are using a cable modem, you will have problems with Java. I bought a D-link card at Best Buy for $10 and no more problems.

6. babe714

babe714

I tried turning off zone alarm , still no luck . Have a regular dial up modem . thanks anyway .

7. Fohat

Fohat

Install another browser (Netscape, Opera) and use it to launch the java applets.

8. reinstall IE Ver. 5.5, IE 6.0 still has some kinks

9. babe714

babe714

tried using netscape as my browser , same freeze up happened .

10. [​IMG]

Do you have Sun JRE installed ? Have a look at Settings / Control Panel / JavaPlugin-Control-Panel / Browser.
    Uncheck "Microsoft IE" and try again (using IE 6.0). Now your systems runs MS Java (100% crap) instead of "100% Pure Java".

#10     Apr 18, 2002