Jasper pre-beta available

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by aphexcoil, Nov 6, 2002.

1. DO NOT USE JASPER FOR REAL TRADING.

There is a bug that will show you in the market when you are really flat. Or worse, show that you are flat when you are in the market.

I will fix this. Thank you inandlong for finding this out.

Please only beta-test this in the IB DEMO.

Thanks.

#21     Nov 6, 2002
  2. So that's why the es dropped 5 points 30 minutes ago. I thought I only went short on 1 contract . . . . .

#22     Nov 6, 2002
  3. Now you tell me !!!

Thought I'd give Jasper a run - I bought 5 contracts of ES at 917 (11:30) and closed them out at 917.25 (11:31). Or so I thought. Now I see I'm still long with the ES at 911.

I may average down and buy another 5 contracts. What do you think?

#23     Nov 6, 2002
  4. The bug will only affect you if you set a limit or stop within Jasper and the market hits it. TWS will clear but Jasper doesn't clear the contract out.

It is easily noticeable but wanted to make sure everyone was warned.

I am so sorry Mr. Subliminal. I don't know what to say. :(

#24     Nov 6, 2002
  5. Just kidding. (It was only 2 contracts.)

#25     Nov 6, 2002
  6. What would happen is, if you had set limits and they got hit, Jasper would still show you in the market when in fact TWS would be flat. You would hear the ding, though.

The trouble would lie in thinking it hadn't done anything and then exiting manually, where you would be flat in Jasper but short two contracts in ES.

This is a minor glitch that is easily fixable. I'll get right on it.

#26     Nov 6, 2002
  7. While you're at it, add a margin call module to Jasper. I just got one.

#27     Nov 6, 2002
    #28     Nov 6, 2002
  9. Mr Sub that is funny. :D :D

FWIW, this is a slick package. Still some bugs but Aphie is fixing those as we read. Hey, after all, it's still pre-beta.

I understand he wants to let traders have the platform for free, but charge $500 for the manual. Oh well, I'm a pre-beta tester so I get mine half-off! :) Just kiddin' ya Aphie!

In truth, it is a nice platform. Very fast. Easy to use. It has some nice features not found on Bracket Trader and Autotrader.

Get involved now with some constructive ideas.

:)

#29     Nov 6, 2002
  10. dottom

dottom

Alphie,

I must admit the interface is quite slick. If you could build modules that interacted with popular charting software API like Wealth-Lab, Tradestation, Ensign, Investor/RT, etc. you'd have a product in high demand (I know there are a variety of other automation kits out there.)

Users could execute trades automatically by using your COM module and making the appropriate function calls in their script. Jasper would kick the order to IB, and then the Jasper GUI would be available either for pure monitoring or for the user to manually intervene.

Sure it's an extra layer of complexity than going direct from charting software to IB, but if made to be reliable it's a very valuable service and a big step towards 100% automation. I'd still watch all my trades to ensure fills, software crashes, or other unexpected shock events, but I could anticipate most of the time just watching Jasper whirl.

That'd make my trading day even MORE boring than it already is!

#30     Nov 6, 2002