Japan Posts Second Biggest Trade Deficit In History

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Japan’s exports fell more than economists estimated in May, adding to signs the world’s third- largest economy may struggle to recover from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Exports decreased 10.3 percent from a year earlier after April’s revised 12.4 percent drop, the Finance Ministry said today. The median estimate of 25 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was for an 8.4 percent decline. The nation posted a trade deficit of 853.7 billion yen ($10.7 billion), the second biggest since comparable data were made available in 1979.

Shortages of power and parts have disrupted production and slowed overseas sales, prompting Japanese companies including Honda Motor Co. to forecast weaker earnings. Higher unemployment in the U.S. and weakening demand in Asia indicate Japan won’t be able to rely on global demand to pull itself out of a slump caused by the quake.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-20/japan-s-exports-declined-more-than-expected.html

I am recalling the times when actually news like this would have been a reason to sell the JPY into oblivion. It seems nowadays there is no more logic in any macro figure, or? :confused: :eek:

2. Texas

Texas

Nothing maters because western Central Banks have made western markets artificial (western markets include Japan, but not China)

Artificial is the word of the century IMO

Artificial food

Artificial colors

Artificial sweeteners

Artificial Economy

Artificial Numbers

I am an old timer and I am pissed because I remember 15-20 years ago things were considered NATURAL, meaning less side effects

Now with artificial everything, economies get cancer, not just people

3. emg

emg

the earthquake and tsunami that wiped out many cities, towns, and villages will be rebuilt into modern energy savers building and homes.

Also, tsunami modern high tech seawall will be built. If that seawall works, the demand will be high for other countries. Therefore, japan will be busy

More jobs available

Buy/invest japan in the long term

4. Texas

Texas

Everything is just peachy isn't it

Radiation will subside within 30 years

everything will be rebuilt

OR

More devastating earthquakes will topple Japan and even United States forcing US to default come 2012

How do you like them apples :cool:

I won't invest in Japs nor in your precious US government.

I'll buy gold

5. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

6. as678

as678

Empires rise and fall. Best thing to do is make a bet on the next big superpower. The runner ups are China Inda Brazil Germany.

7. emg

emg

where are isreal and iran?

8. Why is that news not bullish?

9. Texas

Texas

LOL

gone

they will be gone, Israel will eventually attack Iran first they'll blame some incident on Iran.

Israel will then figure out it made a terrible mistake, and both countries will be gone, millions of dead. Smokey the bear will dance on their graves.

10. jprad

jprad

"The now largely-destroyed Kamaishi City in Japan spent $1.5 billion to construct the world's largest sea wall. The municipality deserves a refund."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20043500-501465.html

#10     Jun 20, 2011