Japan PM Warns of Default if Debt Not Fixed

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jun 11, 2010.

1. What about the issues the American economy is facing? Need I point out yesterdays massive deficit number?

#11     Jun 11, 2010
  2. Sure, it's all relative and subjective... On balance, taking into account the various counter-currents, I would still be mildly more positive about the US's prospects. It's still the best looking horse at the glue factory (to quote one pundit or another).

#12     Jun 11, 2010
  3. Specterx

Specterx

Japan is screwed. There's no way in hell they can pay back that debt, or even meaningfully reduce it. Their economy has "grown around" massive government deficits for 20 years, and is now structurally dependent on continued government spending. If the deficit-spending is withdrawn, they'd have a severe recession.

Even if the budget could be balanced, the Japanese savings rate is tipping over into negative territory, and they'll soon be forced to get funding from international capital markets. They sure won't get it at 1.5%. I read that if the average interest rate on Japanese debt rose to 4%, debt service alone would consume 100% of tax revenues.

It's going to be quite a fireworks show, that's for sure.

#13     Jun 11, 2010
  4. Specterx

Specterx

There's still time for us. Note that compared to something like the Great Depression, we haven't seen anything yet. 2008 was a scary couple of months but then the market doubles and everyone thinks we're fine (except for the unemployed I suppose). But even so, you're already starting to see political demands for deficit reduction, less government spending, fundamental economic and monetary reform etc.

So there's hope, but the clock is definitely ticking.

#14     Jun 11, 2010
  5. Retief

Retief

Japan has half the unemployment rate of the US, massively less crime, a working national health care system, and no problems with illegal immigration.

Edit: And the Japanese can still manufacture cars and sell them at a profit.

#15     Jun 11, 2010
  6. Finally, an ET poster who wants to look at the root cause of the problem and not just blame everything on Obama. I was starting to think there weren't any more like that.

The root cause of this, in the USA, is overspending on the military. Both Social Security and Medicare have run surpluses to date, so they are not to blame for any of the debt we currently have. I know we need a strong defense to face the challenges of the world. But, when 70-80% of the contracts are overbudget, and when we are spending more than twice as much on the military as we were just a few years ago, there is a lot of fat to be cut while still fighting and winning against our enemies.

#16     Jun 11, 2010
  7. I'd say it is due to DEMOCRACY.
    In democracy, Governments have to PLEASE their citizens for their votes.

#17     Jun 11, 2010