Japan has fallen victim to the Keynesian scam

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tsing Tao, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ironchef

ironchef

It is easy to criticize, what I am really interested is to hear your solutions if you don't agree with the way they run their economy.

Cheers.

#421     Feb 6, 2017
  2. m22au

m22au

* Balanced budgets

* "Allow" (deeper) recessions and the subsequent defaults to happen

#422     Feb 6, 2017
  3. There are only two problems (actually they're two sides of the same coin) in Japan and it's at the root of all their issues...

Specifically, it's their inability to pull the plug on grandma and/or accept immigrants. That's all there is to it.

#423     Feb 6, 2017
  4. ironchef

ironchef

There was a thread on ET some time ago on Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) which could explain the situation in Japan. In a closed society like Japan where Government debt is held mostly by its citizens and there is a net export economy, Government printing money will only mean citizens as net savers:

G - T = S - I - NX

where G is government spending, T is taxes, S is savings, I is investment and NX is net exports.

The conclusion that MMT draws from this is that it is only possible for the non government sector to accumulate a surplus if the government runs budget deficits. And in the end it all evens out?

Here is the Wiki version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Monetary_Theory

I am just a mom and pop trader, so I will let you expert economists argue it out.

Cheers.

#424     Feb 6, 2017
  5. m22au

m22au

I have no doubt that the Japanese government can repay its debts in nominal terms.

But, if it runs the printing press to do so, then it's likely that means the JPY will depreciate against other currencies.

#425     Feb 6, 2017
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Here is the historical Yen vs U$ chart going back to 1994. Tell me if the Yen is going to hell in a hand basket?
    upload_2017-2-6_18-59-38.png

My intuition tells me as long as they run a positive current account balance, their currency will not go down the tube.

Best wishes.

#426     Feb 6, 2017
  7. m22au

m22au

Probably.

Thank you!

#427     Feb 6, 2017
  8. That's a really good post, thanks, I enjoyed reading it.

#428     Feb 7, 2017