Japan - Big Picture Time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kanzei, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Kanzei

Kanzei

For those flaming me for "sensationalism", consider a few things before you get eaten alive by short sellers who are in the right to be concerned.

10s of thousands of spent fuel rods from all over Japan from the last 40 years are stored at fukushima. start reading at page 9.

http://www.nirs.org/reactorwatch/accidents/6-1_powerpoint.pdf

Passing the "point of no return" the workers at fukushima are working in a "suicide mission". The new kamikaze.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...ation-levels-halt-fukushima/story?id=13146516

Hundreds of spent fuel rods exposed to the air.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

The smartest guys in most any room they are in are getting the hell out of Japan.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42105046

Japanese government minimizing the nature of the situation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/world/asia/17nuclear.html?_r=2&hp

Though the Japanese say outside of 20km is safe and tells people to "stay home", our military will not go within 50 miles of the melted down reactors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110316/us_nm/us_japan_quake_usa_military_1

#21     Mar 16, 2011
  2. 30km away high radiation!

IT'S A DISASTER & THE END OF NUCLEAR POWER.

How can one invest with the world on fire? I don't know. They bang you over the head always with the " new normal " High gas, - new normal, terrorism threat - new normal, middle east uprisings- new normal... are natural disasters approaching that unfortunate accepted level?

All our power sources seem to be rebelling. Coal- miners trapped. Nat gas trouble with the drinking water & explosions Oil natural tragedy at sea and now Nuclear the worst of all... what is this really saying " big picture "

Yikes. A couple windmills aren't looking as ugly now eh neighbor?

In my research this morning a couple things-- Got a half boat of ASH yesterday and will be filling in the rest on a retrace today. They Authorized a buyback on me this morning and the CEO got his colon examined. No joke. -- PR Ashland Inc. said Chairman and Chief Executive James J. O’Brien will have surgery to repair a hole in his colon caused by a type of swelling. Later Wednesday, the company announced its board has authorized $400 million in stock buybacks and plans to increase the chemical maker’s annual dividend 16%. LOL who writes these things...

Anyway I'll be updating my ASH thread because ASHLAND is a way of mind as well as a stock for some reason and I'm happy to return to it!

ok other ideas...

Chinese Coal stk YZC up a buck from yesterday-- China's scale back of their own Nuclear ambitions is probably enough to rocket this stock despite no export ability to Japan... I'm watching ZEP for some reason. i don't why. they due induistrial oilfield cleaning and I suspect have stuff fro nuclear clean up although I'm having trouble nailing that down. ECOL is another name and ES; all to be watched as hopefuly today they get the motorized pumps working and salvage what's left... then the huge radiation scrub who will do that? Bechtel?

The Disaster in japan and the Turmoil in the Middle east CNBC is there... Thanks guys. The press seems like vultures lately, I don't even trust the Ny Times on this story. I hope and pray it all works out but why so many reactors so close together...man the whole plant has an erie look. The Japanese people are doing themselves proud right now-- the PM storming into the Electrical companies offices though-- and their proud nature -- really adds up to a dangerous situation inside this plant. Could we have a hero in there who gives up his own life to save a nation? And then is buried in a Metal coffin marched through the streets?

Funny how the European debt crisis disappeared.

My head's exploding. I think it's time for a " break " at 10:43.

BOUGHT & BUYING ASHFORD ASH!

LEANING TOWARDS YZC looking at other coal names but feeling that trade is being sold by smarter types the Chinese recovery angle might ironically prop YZC up more than say a James River... big holding at JP Morgan too this YZC which means their books have been scrubbed.

WATCHING SNCR & NTDOY . There was just a gas explosion in Minn no joke.
    ~ stoney

#22     Mar 17, 2011
  3. Kanzei

Kanzei

Stoney,

I love your thinking on yzc. I'd just add KOL to it for some stability and to filter out any yzc specific bad news that could come out.

Only caution, if half that island ends up radiation poisoned and 1/2 the population north of tokyo goes to osaka, and the other half go to australia and california, the coal play might not be the best one.

#23     Mar 17, 2011
  4. benwm

benwm

this french guy seems to have lost the 'big picture'

check out how white that guy's teeth are at 01:05-01:30 :)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15gGuQJzD-U?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15gGuQJzD-U?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

#24     Mar 17, 2011
  5. Kanzei

Kanzei

ha! one of my rules of life... never trust someone who excessively whitens their teeth.

#25     Mar 17, 2011
  6. True. But coal is looking like a least bad alternative now for a while.
    This in turn probably raises Nat gas but I've been a loser in that trade
    a few times.

Now I really promised myself this time I wasn't going to get all crazy about the picks just spit em out nice and calm and don't crow about it but the thing is I always show up when no one wants to buy... has anyone noticed that? AND WHAT OF DIOD?
    no props YET for sticking myself out on a chart read & a good amount of DD...
    I dumped a huge BRCM position and rotated into heaven.
    >I GOT YOU ALL IN AT $29 for goodness sakes

Diodes Incorporated (Public, NASDAQ:DIOD)
    DIOD 31.44 8.30%

yes that's right 31.44 +2.41 (8.30%) ontop of the 3% WHAT IS THE 11% IN 2 DAYS... WELCOME BACK STONEY!

ps: Diodes Incorporated (NASDAQ:DIOD) was upgraded to Buy from Hold at Collins Stewart. The firm lifted the price target by 25% to $35.:

#26     Mar 17, 2011
  7. Yen has taken out ot all time high as planned. There is no guarantee that it will just turn on a dime here and go straight down, but this is now a good spot to start initiating a short with small size.

If there is a large scale yen selloff over the next couple of years there will likely be plenty of chances to add and build a large position, so there is no need to rush. After all it could stay up for another few months first, who knows exactly..

#27     Mar 17, 2011
  8. 3DS Launch Event Set for New York City at Best Buy
    by Jeffrey Davis 23 hours ago, 835 views

3DS fans take note: Nintendo has officially announced the launch event schedule for the 3DS in North America.

The event will take place in New York City at Best Buy, and will start at 9:00 pm EDT on the night before, although an early arrival is the obvious best means of preparation. You mean sleep outside? Participants will be able to try out the system first-hand before purchase upon the start of the festivities and will even toss 3D glasses in the air upon the start of 3DS sales as a means to symbolize the no-glasses approach to the system's presentation of 3D effects. Wait a minute that's corny! Those glasses should be BURNED in a bonfire! wimps.

Nintendo of America COO/President Reggie Fils-Aime will be on hand to greet participants and will take to a raised hydraulic stage during the last pre-launch hour, Nooooooooooooo! man that sounds dangerous we can't lose a COO at this point of the launch. complete with a countdown clock ticking down to zero hour. Launch night sales will run until 2:00 am EDT, with the first 300 buyers receiving a commemorative carrying case for the new handheld system.

Smoke em if you got em'! ~si

#28     Mar 17, 2011
  9. Ok ASH right here $57.20... buy it! I am.

I went through all the Coal names to find one with Australian and West Coast presence it came down to BTU & ACI. I AM FAVORING BTU But not today up as it is.

Time For Something Green. What! It's St patty's day after all!!!! ~stoney

:cool:

#29     Mar 17, 2011
  10. kipster

kipster

australia...or our central USA could use some japanese migration.

#30     Mar 17, 2011