Japan - Big Picture Time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Kanzei, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Thanks for that vid Compulsive it's a good reminder of the original tragedy. All these people without homes in a rural area. Perhaps the nuclear angle is what gets the press going most because it reminds us of the drama & the movie surrounding 3 Mile Island.

As an investor there is always money to be made in these darn events but the feeling one has inside is not of saving mankind. My first thought when I heard of the tragedy at the nuclear reactor was to race and buy CBLI even though their pill is not on the market yet. Somehow that trade felt dirty & I didn't do it. It's up a lot of course but it feels cleaner buying an infrastructure rebuild play or even Nintendo. A certain amount of basic protection from radiation particles can be had in the surgical masks too which is a 3M & APT product.

As I understand it there are a whole bunch of these reactors but one (maybe #3) has the real scary stuff in it. Must cool that one down. There is already some radioactivity in the water supply but to be fair, the average person close to the site is only getting a unwanted CT scan at the moment. If you only knew how many times Hospitals over zapped patients right here in America many times worse, children too...

PPO got upgraded by Steifel today and is going crazy. this is one of the big drawbacks to daytrading anything. A lack of faith in the next days events leads to yanking what would of been now a great trade. Had Steifel stayed quiet, nothing-- such is investing! You would of thought with a brotherinlaw who works at Steifel I would of gotten some heads up on this upgrade yesterday but no.

PPO up $3 ugh.

I have a completely stuffed ear to boot. Completely off balance. Going to the Dr today at 1:00 to get blown out with the syringe. I might go crazy if it doesn't work.

Nintendo comes out with their 3DS product later this month in the US. They have all they need for rollout safe and sound. Will future production on new orders be hampered by this Quake???? That is a question. What of sales in Japan where the game has been a huge hit? Another good question. I'm willing to guarantee you all $38 on this name by end of month; it's $33.75 now so if you buy a thousand shares that's $4,000 something not chicken feed. But not great. Need more clarity to go full bore on this name but what a nice IRA stock eh?

Goldman Sachs today said the Nikki was STILL THEIR BEST TRADE FOR 2011! Holy cow even with this 7% pullback. NTDOY might be a play later today or tomorrow. Other Japanese ideas? For now I'm pairing with MELI a SA story.

watching this AM-
    CHOP- This is a $5 China stk so be forewarned. They do rolled thin steel and have 12% market share in China. Shady company in a way; issued Warrants to fund expansion and then oversaw a stk fall of their own doing or not that allows them to basically get their expansion done on the Warrant holders behalf... they have gotten back very little. All of this overhead vanishes March 19....

ASH at $56. Warren Buffets recent purchase is having me do more work on Valvoline prospects which Ashland owns. Would they sell now?

ANIK Already screaming up to $11. This small bio I have known for years. Always an earnings story you can by this at earnings and always make money just like QCOR but follow through is not always there.... maybe this time. ~stoney

#11     Mar 16, 2011
  2. benwm

benwm

I'm guessing it wouldn't reach NY before you start to notice the planet going ape shit.

#12     Mar 16, 2011
  3. The play was to go long the NIkkie when it lost 12% on the second down day. It was a risky play as there are calls for possible 7000. However, with two straight days of serious sell offs, the only logical play was to go long. The pop brought the nikkie to rally 488 points

However, at this point, the direction is 50/50%. With the Nikkie ralling 488 points, back to near half way from its 1100 or so drop,
    the risk is on either side.

If the nikkie sells off hard again, the play is to buy. If you have been watching the orders, you will see large buy orders come in during the sell offs. Not sure if this is goverment money or investors. However, the long term odds are that the Nikkie will recover as it did in 1995, after that Quake.

The patterns are similar but the situation with the Nuke reactor throws an X factor. However, I still think this is a huge opporutnity to buy the Nikkie every time it sells off for a longer term hold. IF you want dips to buy, Nikkie has given you two to scale into.

#13     Mar 16, 2011
  4. I'm feeling ya but how does one buy an exchange I so hate those funds! Don't get me going on ETF's. I don't like Sony.

Anyway I'm sending in a request for PPO right now, we'll see what they say. Sometimes I like to test the hedge fund to see what they are thinking. I know they were selling yesterday.

ASH look how today it stayed at $56 area despite a huge down day... my better sense says buy this not PPO... Polypore moves like lightning though both ways.

ANIK looks super! Another stock that did not go down today showing moderately strong holders.

Niki futures are down 3%!!!! IBM CRASHING! DOW down 360 this week!!!!!!! HEADLINES APLENTY!!! OLD SPEECHES GIVEN AGAIN CAN YOU FEEL THE PANIC...
    10 billion shares again!!! NEW INVESTORS TRAPPED!!! LIFESAVINGS BEING LOST...
    A YEARS GAINS WIPED OUT. NEW ECONOMIC NUMBERS CRAP. HOUSING DOUBLE DIPPPING. BUT WHAT OF PPO?

I'm more interested in.

NTDOY @$33 tomorrow will be carefully watching. So far Fri last gap down. Monday gap down, tue gap down wed opened up & kind of holding at $33... if this holds again tomorrow I'm in. ~stoney

#14     Mar 16, 2011
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

really, now. because if the 3rd largest economy, which is the 2nd largest ASIAN economy goes under, it'll be great for the overvalued aussie?

i love this forum.

#15     Mar 16, 2011
  6. Tsing I've had your beer!

Folks investing is funny you start one place and end up another. As coal stks had a pretty decent day and especially coal for power generation I was thinking about a coal stk and for me it's Chinese- YZC. How can a Chinese stk be roughly $2 off it's high when their market has been correcting? Won't they have the quickest rout to Japan to sell coal.....

My ear is clear by the way 85% anyway i didn't have the heart to tell the Dr there was still more in there after 3 plunges.

I'm increasing my coal weighting in my big boy account. Right now I only have is CNX which is their choosing.

Tomorrow I call the Chase # and buy over the phone in my kids custodial! I kid you not. I thought all you could do was boring Chase funds and then on hold the voice says hit 2 to speak to a broker and buy a stock... HELL YA! Another outlet.

My boy just loves the Wii... so I think it's Nintendo going into the 3DS launch... but the whole $10,000???? Or is their another name, maybe a rebuild Japan type play?
    Or add some MELI? ~stoney

#16     Mar 16, 2011
  7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Honestly, it needs to be said, guys like you spamming the board with cheap sensationalistic crap with no bearing on reality are ABSOLUTE SCUM.

China Syndrome isn't on the table stop speculating on doomsday situations. You and that turd in Europe that started filling the airwaves with crap and then finally admitted he knew absolutely nothing about what he was talking about. I'm sure he shorted the market before he spoke though. Because this is what its all about for some of you, trying to drive down the market after you short it.

Honestly, this site has become complete garbage, a bunch of National Enquirer type people spewing idiotic ideas based on nothing much in particular but their imagination.

Let's revisit your claims of a "China Syndrome" moving forward and you can explain to everyone why you and your source were so far off the mark. No, I have no idea hiw serious the problem is.
    BUT NEITHER DO YOU NO MATTER HOW YOU PRETEND TO KNOW.
    Speculating on the potential death of millions and uprooting a whole country is REALLY, REALLY FK'D UP.

ps My short positions are larger then my long positions so I am
    not playing a trading angle at all.

#17     Mar 16, 2011
  8. Good for you! I feel the same way. except I'm always 100% long.

Well amazingly the China coal company has zero export ability. So although a firm chart probably not a beneficiary of increased Japanese coal consumption as they scale back from Nuclear.

What we need is a mid cap name with export ability from most likely Australia.~si

#18     Mar 16, 2011
  9. Coal MLPs
    · NRP
    · AHGP
    · ARLP
    · PVR
    ·

Coal Corps
    · SE
    · CNX
    · YZC
    · ACI
    · MEE
    · BTU
    · DVN
    · EQT
    · SM
    · PVA
    · WLB

Australian Coal
    · RIO.AX
    · ERA.AX
    · FMG.AX
    · PDN.AX
    · BHP.AX
    · CAN.AX
    · RIV.AX

Shipping MLPs
    · TGP
    · TOO
    · NMM
    · CPLP
    · KSP

#19     Mar 16, 2011
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

It's the "anthrax" trade all over again..

#20     Mar 16, 2011