James Altucher's Retirement Guide: Why You "Only" Need $2 Million

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Clubber Lang, Oct 20, 2010.

1. But there is this security blanket thing about working that I cannot seem to kick
    --------------------------

Same here.

But when the snow is falling in the morning and you don't have to go out in it.....

OR

I think back to all the lunches I ate while I worked,,,, oh ah pay back time, I have some good leisurely lunches..

Oh yea, almost forgot to mention, I'm just about as busy now as when I was working, different things, still making money.

I think if you've always love work, you find your way back to working. Hard to explain, you either live it and know it or ya don't.

#21     Oct 20, 2010
  2. 007Arb

007Arb

Less than 5% of U.S. households are millionaires when you only consider liquid assets (excludes real estate)

If you are debt free, live in middle America, and share the most common trait of millionaires (frugality) a million dollars should do the trick.

Edit: I should add the above is for a single person who also draws Social Security.

#22     Oct 20, 2010
  3. Larson

Larson Guest

Don't forget about divorce. Better stash some cash where the lawyers can't find it, just in case. Although it would be better to work the old lady like a dog so she won't have as much time to plot your demise.

#23     Oct 20, 2010
  4. Where in all this learned budget planning is funding for the geriatric equivalent of the motto from our youth of "You never outgrow your need for milk?" If you are taking your little blue pills four times a day from the Pez dispenser, "You never outgrow your need for pussy!"

#24     Oct 20, 2010
  5. Between your normal nonsense and this lastest post I'm going to guess you're maybe 20 at most. It would be hard to believe anyone older could be so niave.

My dad is 68 going on 69 in a month. Plays golf 4-6 times a week and often times plays 27-36 holes. Flys his airplane a few times a week and once a month flys half way across the country to do mock dogfighting with his group of airplane buddies...they're all between 55-80. Yes, 80 year old men flying mutli million dollar planes shooting at each other.

When disasters strike, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., him and his friends will fly half way across the world to build houses and shit for people. For fun they do stuff like cliff diving, scuba diving. He's also remodeling his house all by himself and restoring a 1969 z-28 camaro.

Oh, and just for fun, about a week ago he came to watch his grandson race motocross. After the races he asked for some simple directions on how the bike worked and anything special he needed to know and then went out on a motocross track doing wheelies and trying to jump doubles. You couldn't do that I bet.

You have a lot to learn. Fortunately, health permitting, you have decades in which to figure how things work in life.

btw, did you know your parents still fuck? It's true.

#25     Oct 21, 2010
  6. Mike, Your dad does not represent everyone. One of my relatives died at the age of 67 while another died at the age of 72. Actually, I have countless stories of people I know dieing of various causes from age 20 all the way up to age 90. If you understand the definition of "average" then you know that when the average age is 78, then half die above that age and half die below. When you reach 78, if you reach 78, at least 50% of the people you graduated high school with have passed on.

You can do all the pushups, situps, hikes and jump out of whatever planes you like each month. You can have all the enthusiasm you like and tell heroic stories of wonder and passion. The fact is at your age of retirement you will not have the same energy as when you were in your 30s-40s. By the time you hit your 70s, then its likely 50% of your high school class has passed on.

For every guy you know that is playing golf at age 68, I can present to you one that is not in very good health. My own father was diagnosed with emphysema at age 68. A few years after that, he passed away after a battle which placed him sitting in a chair for about two years with an oxygen mask.

What you wrote is garbage because I have experienced it personally with my family, friends and even people I dont know. This guy who worked at a shop in town one day had a stroke at age 65 and passed on. Go ahead, do your long runs, your pushups, but life does not last forever and you should have that attitude every day you wake up. Certainly, wining and dining at luxury restaurants at age 70 while going through diabetes is not going to do you any good.

I used to dine out all the time, but only cook what I make. I eat a light breakfast consisting of coffee and two packs of splenda. I avoid bagels because the sugar messes with my diabetes. Actually, there is a very limited diet that I can eat. It doesnt bother me because its all in the name of life extension. I get up and do as much walking as I can in the morning, but I do get tired. Let me tell you something, diabetes is not something that you can avoid. It will just come one day. Some get it early, while others get it late. It just happens.

At this point in my life, I dont really care about BMWs or even cash. Luxury homes, bah! I just care about waking up and Im still there.

#26     Oct 21, 2010
  7. you die (at least inside) after you lived thru all your desires. make sure you dont run of desires, else will lose desire to live....

Prolonging life - modern medicine does not do the trick :(

doing it successfully is art of life.

looks like buddhist are the most advanced in this area, and copypaste lives of successfull ones.

#27     Oct 21, 2010
  8. Arbitrary

Arbitrary

Absolute nonsense. Try a raw vegan diet with fresh green juices, get rid of that toxic Splenda and see what happens. Doctors are part of a broken paradigm.

Google:
    Gary Null
    Gabriel Cousins
    Jack Lalanne
    Jay Kordich
    Lou Corona
    ...and many more

Open your mind and you'll find a solution. Stick to the status quo and you'll check out at 72.

#28     Oct 21, 2010
  9. #29     Oct 21, 2010
  10. $3,000 per month for food? Only if you want your ass to look like this...

[​IMG]

#30     Oct 21, 2010