Jack Hershey's Equities Method

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Burly Wood, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Sprout

Sprout

PVText_1.gif

Here are some broad strokes. More detail to follow,...

#21     Dec 16, 2019
    Zodiac4u, peaspipe and Burly Wood like this.
  2. peaspipe

peaspipe

Thanks for the reminder Sprout, it's been years since I last read PtPT and it's time to re-visit it. What I spend my R&D time over the Christmas holidays is starting to narrow into focus.

#22     Dec 17, 2019
  3. E mini's trade using Jack's Method, multiple timeframes are used to create regressions or lines/trendlines. Random orderflow or directed orderflow will throw the ES into one of the channels. ES respects those channels in terms of mean reversion or it doesn't and shifts to the next channel/trending. Its very versatile system. I do it manually but my resolution is not into the sub 240 tick timeframe. If anyone wants to code it/automate it, I'll give you guidance.

regards,
    Chris channel3.PNG

#23     Dec 26, 2019
  4. Hey sprout. That was a great pdf you posted. Thanks. I have a few of questions if you don’t mind.

1. Would you be able to elaborate a bit more on how Jack came up with the percentages used in the unusual volume table? Where did he come up with that distribution of percentages as in 16% for the first 30mins, 28% for first hour etc?

2. I thought dry up, FRV and PV came from an eyeballing of volumes pre, during and post breakout versus using a percentage of the 65 day avg. or a Decimal value of the percentages from the table?

3. Are the values in the unusual volume table still valid?

#24     Dec 28, 2019
  5. Question as I continue to study. Reading Spydertrader’s journal II and I’m wondering does one use the low band DryUp/DryUp average combo in conjunction with the unusual volume table? Seems like it would be redundant to use both?

Secondly, just thinking out loud but this all seems to me like it’s just a measure of volume pacing. Creating landmarks to judge the rate of volume. So my mind is thinking why use low volume measures? Why not use a higher volume measure? I do understand that using dry up volume is sort of a pro rata level for FRV but why not just use a percentage of FRV or some higher volume calculation?

My idea is why not calculate the average of the volume decreases from the prior day over let’s say 6 months then scan for stocks that are below that average with decreasing volume. Also calculate the average of the volume increases from the prior day over 6 months and use pro rata levels of that average to trigger the breakout. If price maintains a certain percentage of the average increase we would expect the average increase to be hit EOD.

Just some thoughts.

#25     Jan 18, 2020
  6. Sprout

Sprout

Comments with quoted text.

#26     Jan 20, 2020
    Burly Wood likes this.
  7. Sprout

Sprout

Comments within quoted text.

#27     Jan 20, 2020
    Burly Wood likes this.
  8. Thank you @Sprout for taking the time to reply.

Final question for the moment before I dive deeper into studying and observation when the market opens tomorrow.

Does one need to calculate the actual dry up value for each stock or could one just use the percentages of the 65 day average as per the unusual volume table? I’ve been playing with both and I think I like just using the unusual volume table.

#28     Jan 20, 2020