Jack Hershey for Dummies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Duref Mudgins, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Goodbye, Jack. I loved you, but you didn't love me. Exiteo.

#21     Feb 9, 2013
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

That's all fine and dandy, but the question still stands. WTF are you smoking?

#22     Feb 9, 2013
  3. It would be a lot easier to copy if all the letters took the same amount of time...

#23     Feb 9, 2013
  4. CHOW......

#24     Feb 11, 2013
  5. hughb

hughb

My amateur radio license is listed on Ham Call. It says it is from 1983, so I guess that means when it expired, because I got it in the 1970's, although I don't remember exactly when.

It was a novice class, and you were required to send and receive Morse code at 5 WPM. It's been a long time, but I think I had to try three times to pass the sending portion. When I made a mistake, I sent the 8 dits and continued on with the sentence I was supposed to send, but the test administrator made me go on to the next one until I got it perfectly. That made me mad, because I was under the impression you could make one mistake and still pass.

My call sign was KA4DWM. Since I was a novice, I couldn't use a voice transmitter, so it was unnecessary to give the phonetic of my call sign. But my dad said if I got my General Class license, I could use the phonetic "Damn Well Mean".

I never got on the air. My dad was converting a Navajo base/mobile CB radio into a short wave radio, but he never got done with it because he could never get the transmitter to work. (It received just fine.) I was going to build a 1 watt transmitter from the schematic in an ARRL book, but never got to it.

The first night my dad got the short wave receiver working he picked up somebody sending Morse code and he starting copying it. It was back in the 70's, but it excited me so much I still remember it to this day. It was a person named Jo Jo Quash from Panama City, Florida. We were receiving him in Kentucky.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it got me excited! Ha!

#25     May 2, 2015
    piezoe likes this.