Izhmash BK (Kalashnikov manufacturer)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wartrace, Sep 21, 2009.

1. wartrace

wartrace

My post collapse firearms are a couple of Springfield armory M1a's in .308 caliber. I have one set up for day use, one for night. (out in the country, no other homes within range of my yard:) )

(also have a couple of handguns/shotguns for inside use)

#11     Sep 22, 2009
  2. lrm21

lrm21

http://forum.saiga-12.com/
    all you need to know about saigas and aks

under stand that saigas are a modified AK for the civilian market that is a sporting version with out a pistol grip to comply with US arms import laws

but you can modify them back legally

I have one and it is a pleasure to shoot

.223/5.65 is a common round with a reduced recoil vs 7.62 but it's your preference

Saigas go for about 400-500

they are dependable and well built by the real deal. They are not crappy weapons at all. They are very utilitiarian using a 60 year old design but they get the job done.

they are the choice of the proletariat :)

#12     Sep 22, 2009
  3. Good points, except for the sawing off shotgun bit.

I can see two reasons for getting the big bore AK. One, it will penetrate standard bulletproof vests and has a lot of stopping power, even if fired through a door. A professional burgler/home invasion crew will likely be wearing vests, so that is a consideration. Two, if you have to shoot up a car, it would penetrate better than the 5.56. Against that you have to weigh the risk of overpenetration, which as you point out, carries potentially massive legal liability.

#13     Sep 22, 2009
  4. An AK in the hands of an average person during a home invasion scenario is a disaster. Don't think so? Next time you go to the range to practice your "skills" run a mile before you shoot, pick your non-auto weapon up as soon as you finish, and place 5 well-aimed shots in either the T-slot or the Brain-box in under 5 seconds. Can't do it? Don't buy an AK for home-pro. You won't be as good in that type of scenario as you'd think. There are too many factors that aren't accounted for.

A burgler in a bulletproof vest is highly unlikely, unless you're Tony Soprano, but if you're confronted with this scenario...aim higher than normal.

#14     Sep 22, 2009
  5. Thank you president Clinton. Chinese AKs can no longer be imported.

They do make good AKs though

#15     Sep 23, 2009
  6. Have to agree. a 9 or 40 is the better option. (how many really have a rifle ready to go in case of home invasion anyway) having a handgun ready to go is easy. If you really want to make sure you can get a desert eagle 50 but that really requires some range time to be able to handle it.

#16     Sep 23, 2009
  7. The point about the vests is a sale for the AK. I knew a group of ruffians once, they always attacked with vests, in fact they traded their assault rifles for 15kg vests that covered the neck.

If the crap goes down, I guess the power would have utilized the vests if they had them. Would be a shame to have purchased useless weapons.

#17     Sep 23, 2009
  8. Eight

Eight

Those 7.62 rounds are frightening to look at.. I remember the rifle range at Fort Ord and the M14's... thinking "nobody is going far if I get a visual.... "

#18     Sep 23, 2009
  9. .50 is expensive to shoot, the D/E has interchangeable barrels, so you could keep the .357 in there. My brother inlaw has one, they are fun as hell to shoot, really get the heart going.

#19     Sep 23, 2009