Ivan's Trade Thread, part II

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Ivanovich, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Hello fellow fx traders. I have been trading forex for 3.5 years. I am an intra day technical trader using fundamentals for long term outlook of my trading. I use support/resistance, fibonacci and simple moving averages for entry and exits of my trades. I trade live and demo. I trade aggresively, using 5-7.5% of account for lots per trade. (I don't recommend that for everyone! 1-2% is safer) My fulltime job is I own a mortgage company and manage another one both specializing in private money real property financing. I have been doing that for 18 years. Trading forex came easy to me, however, controlling me while trading forex has been a battle. Currently working on patience. I believe every trader has a personal trading weakness that is a constant battle to overcome. And for the record, self discipline was a bitch to conquer and it still raises it's head from time to time.

What I appreciate most about Ivan's thread is getting different view points on how others trade and that there is many ways of making good trades consistently.

Happy Pip Hunting!!!

#11     Sep 13, 2008
  2. Pachoo

Pachoo

Great thread..thanks for making the sequal. :)

#12     Sep 14, 2008

3. Oook....stopped out at break even due to early market insanity. Though I see a re-enter, I think with all that's going on LEH-wise, I'll just sit quiet this Monday.

#13     Sep 14, 2008
  4. sam0182

sam0182

Yeah, this movement is pretty insane...GL with everyone's stops.

#14     Sep 14, 2008
  5. I am assuming due to the lack of posts on the thread, there is a lot of us on the sideline or taking our butt whoopin in private.

I am currently short eur/usd@ 1.4285 stop@4300 target@4125

(If anyone knows how to post marketscope charts, let me know.)

stop adjusted to 4250. adjusting stop every 20 pips down. keepinig it tight due to the uncertainty of the day.

#15     Sep 15, 2008
  6. I took today off. No way in hell I'm doing anything until this subsides.

Well, anything except collecting interest on existing positions.

#16     Sep 15, 2008
  7. Smart man Ivan, but I already knew you were!

Stopped out on my eur/usd trade@4250 for 35pips.

#17     Sep 15, 2008
  8. ssbc19

ssbc19

Can't you just "Printscreen" and then us photoshop or paint to save it?

#18     Sep 15, 2008
  9. JodyOng

JodyOng

Rather weird but I've been short USD/HKD since a week ago. Also short the yen. If you look at the H1, there actually is a good breakout trade coming along. Looking for shorting opportunities in the euro and pound as well. I get my directional bias from the daily with Chick Goslin's methodology.

#19     Sep 15, 2008
  10. Hi, I'm a complete newbie trying to understand the markets. I'm not hoping to make a living out of it and I don't have the time to daytrade so I would be more of a swing trader.

I have a demo account with 10k and use a 1:100 leverage (although I hardly needed since I'm not worry about the total amount) and I have used it for a few weeks now. A couple of trades per day but I can only stay afloat... I'm surprised at how difficult it's _not_ to lose your money.

My strategy is the simplest: If it goes down, sell. If it goes up, buy. Trying to use common sense of course (I like to read the news).

I figured there would be some movement yesterday so I made a few trades in the morning (europe time) and got some pips before the reversal, then again, I saw a strong trend at night and decided to bet on anything I could, to see how things work out... this are my positions (12 hours later):

gbpusd buy: -92 pips (profit)
    eurusd buy: -54 pips
    audusd sell : 208 pips
    euraud buy : 425 pips
    usdchf sell : 58 pips
    gbpchf sell : 195 pips
    eurchf sell : 106 pips
    usdjpy sell : 105 pips

I was pretty sure people would run away of the usd... what do you need for that, another interest rate cut?

For the rest... I supposed people prefer safe currencies at time of uncertainty... it seems like it's true...

I will close the positions soon since I don't think I can learn anything else out of it...

Could some people elaborate on what happened yesterday? I would love to hear some explanations.

#20     Sep 16, 2008