IV trading on earnings

Discussion in 'Options' started by DarkProtoman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. spindr0

spindr0

Analysts are never wrong. It's usually the fault of the liberal media (see 07-08 market decline)

:)

#11     Jan 22, 2012
  2. cqm

cqm

hahahah wow, way to kill your account. this isn't rocket science, you use a short straddle IF you wish to attempt this at all

never go into earnings directionally.

high probability for IV crush if you sell straddle the day before earnings release

high probability of gains if you buy straddle a few days before earnings release

#12     Jan 22, 2012
  3. Well, this second strategy (to simply profit from long-term directionality) was my original one, because Pfizer looks poised to beat its earning estimates, like it did for nearly 3 years.

And it has widened its planned share repurchase program to $2B, which will drive up the price somewhat.

#13     Jan 22, 2012
  4. That seems much better than taking on an unlimited risk.

#14     Jan 22, 2012
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Okay. Without any sense for how much you think the stock will move, you are better off buying stock instead of calls.

#15     Jan 22, 2012
  6. Or LEAPs.

#16     Jan 22, 2012
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Bid offer in delta terms is a lot. Additionally you are taking on a lot of other risks.

#17     Jan 22, 2012
  8. Yeah, you're right. I'm just going to stick with a long straddle to trade earnings.

#18     Jan 22, 2012
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Again. If you are bullish, why are you buying a straddle? If you don't have a view on how much the stock will move why are you buying the straddle?

#19     Jan 22, 2012
  10. I haven't bought anything yet...

I'm just going to go with the calls.

#20     Jan 22, 2012