"It's Unfair" - Hispanic Workers Upset After Being Fired For Absence On "Day Without Immigrants"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

"It's Unfair" - Hispanic Workers Upset After Being Fired For Absence On "Day Without Immigrants"

The manager of the ironically named "I Don't Care" Bar and Grill in Catoosa, Oklahoma is hiring...

After firing 12 staff last week for violating his “no call/no show” policy.

Fox Baltimore reports that the workers are without a job after getting fired for skipping work as a show of support for “A Day Without Immigrants.”

The restaurant workers are all Hispanic and say it was important to them to participate in the national protest.

But they didn’t think it would cost them their jobs.

“They feel like they’ve been unfairly terminated," said a friend, translating for the employees.

The owner fired them by text message.

[​IMG]

A message to one of the employees reads: "You and your family are fired. I hope you enjoyed your day off, and you can enjoy many more. Love you.”​

The group willingly chose to stay home with others across the country, supporting “A Day Without Immigrants.”

“(They’re) upset they stood for something they felt was necessary so the community would stand together, and they got terminated for that," said the friend.​

Restaurant owner Bill McNally gave us a written statement, saying he has a "zero tolerance policy for no show/no call incidents and the 12 employees violated that policy."

[​IMG]

JamesL, Tom B, MoneyMatthew and 2 others like this.
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

Here come the news camera's.

3. Wallet

Wallet

Yep and a huge increase in business.

4. Vertex

Vertex

I don't blame the owner for firing them.

But....

If those workers are illegals, the owner should be charged/fined for hiring them in the first place. Assuming that hiring illegals is actually against the law in Oklahoma.

5. Cuddles

Cuddles

I mean, it's a restaurant job, not like it's anything to cry home about.

6. Wallet

Wallet

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

8. How would that matter? Odumbo often said, "If you don't like the law, it's OK to ignore it".

Might make a diff with Trump.

9. java

java

There is no such thing as an "Illegal Alien" anymore. The walkout should have specified if it was First Generation Undocumented Immigrant, or just all of us. My great grandfather immigrated from Switzerland, but I don't have anything to walk out on.

10. Vertex

Vertex

Anyone born here is not undocumented. In that case, your term "first generation undocumented" is misleading as there can't be a second generation of undocumented.

MUIA! Make Undocumented Illegal Again! :p

#10     Feb 20, 2017