It's time to get serious on Sirius

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by HolyGrail, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Yep, and wait until the iPod goes wireless with the ability to listen to thousands of various podCasts in real-time, even more specialized than Sirius. I see radio as an increasingly fragmented market until the point of near-death unless their model changes, even the satellite guys. When the economy dips, this kind of service is the first to go.

#21     Dec 15, 2006
  2. Regardless of where any of you stand on the stock side of this, or what you think of Howard -- I think we can agree on this fact.

From a standpoint of pure strategy and speculation -- you could go long on the stock here, and buy $4 strike OTM Jan puts for only a net cost of 20 pennies - -- worst case scenario thats all you would lose per 100 shares. Also keep in mind, Jan is the longest "holding" period for options, cause essentially you get an extra week (look @ your calendar and you will see what I mean)

The $5 strike JAN calls are only fetching a nickel right now & someone bought up several thousand contract blocks today.

#22     Dec 15, 2006
  3. I would love to have a business model where every new car sold in the future will have one of my radios.

#23     Dec 15, 2006
  4. lindq

lindq

Oh really?

Honestly now, when was the last time you tuned into an AM radio station. They are all there, right in front of you.

Habla Espanol?

I have a GPS antenna on my car, too. Came already installed. But I didn't sign for the service.

#24     Dec 15, 2006
  5. So you don't think Stern is responsible for any of the 4M+ subscribers since the announcement of him moving to satellite? I would suspect he is easily responsible for 1/2...

As far as XM - I would hope they add subs. You say they don't have Stern - true, but they have not just been sitting still - they added MLB, Oprah, Opey and Anthony, college sports...

#25     Dec 15, 2006
  6. Oh, because you didn't sign up others won't? If you have it you won't be without it. If you don't have it you won't know what you are missing. Seems to me that will cause an increase in listenership. The numbers are only going to go up as more and more people get exposed to it.

#26     Dec 15, 2006
  7. Why would you say he is NOT drawing new listeners? That is just ignorant...you sound like someone who has something against Stern. Of course he is drawing new listeners...he is the biggest radio personality of all times. Don't be stupid.

As far as the chart - the news of Stern moving over caused the spike at the end of 2004. It was overdone, and has since moved back down. You act like SIRI was flying high and news of Stern coming to satellite caused it to crash...again, you sound like someone who has something against him.

#27     Dec 15, 2006
  8. So, your argument is that people said, "Wow, Stern on Sirius!" and then signed up for XM?

Alternatively, you're saying that quarter where both SIRI and XMSR skyrocketed with new subscribers would have actually been the *end* of SIRI were it not for Stern?

#28     Dec 15, 2006
  9. hels02

hels02

HUH?! The $5 Jan puts on SIRI are $1.15 on the ask, and the stock's only selling at $3.90:p. I want your option quotes, where did you find $.05 Jan puts?! That's money for free. :confused:

#29     Dec 15, 2006
  10. Wow - I did not say any of that. Where do you get that? I said XM is adding new things just as SIRI added Stern and other new things. XM added MLB, Oprah, etc...SIRI added Stern, Football, NASCAR next year...

#30     Dec 15, 2006