It's Time! The B*a*r*r*o*n*s Game!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Well it's early in the process and the bathroom throne beckons but I am leaning towards XTO for now...
    with Oracle a close second. ~ stoney

from Zaks-

XTO Energy Still Energized

Despite numerous challenges, XTO Energy, Inc. (NYSE: XTO) remains well-positioned to provide another record performance in 2009 on the back of its impressive portfolio of producing assets and industry-leading cost metrics.

The company intends to generate free cash flow of roughly $2 billion for the year, of which at least $1.25 billion will go towards debt reduction. Also, having already locked in nearly 80% of 2009 production at very attractive prices, the company has smoothed out the commodity-price risk. As such, we are maintaining our Buy recommendation on XTO shares. While shares of E&P companies have bounced back some in recent days (our coverage universe is up 16.5% in the last four weeks vs. a gain of 5.2% for the S&P 500), they still remain significantly below the late summer 2008 levels.

#11     Jan 25, 2009
  2. Putting FAST sort of in front now due to the early cycle nature of it's business... often in the Barrons game you find a hidden second mention and indeed I have found that as the editors saw the need to include FAST in their coverage snippets as well as in Dividends-

Baird has a $47 target, in the last recession FAST went up 20%... no debt , solid cash flow...

Using the infamous " Rule Of 3 " RO-3; meaning, if we stumble into an upgrade tomorrow of this name, or if the stock somehow catches our eye again, perhaps after we put all these names through their technical paces... if we can turn up a insider or big hedge fund buy- a third mention we can feel good about going with FAST..~ si

FAST
    XTO
    TOT
    KYO

#12     Jan 25, 2009
  3. Why looky looky... over at RBC, chief institutional strategist Myles Zyblock, has put together a list of 20 names that could benefit from Obama infrastructure build out. Interestingly EMCOR Group Inc. (EME), which makes systems for voice and data, electrical power and lighting, topped the list. It was joined by engineering and construction company Fluor Corp. (FLR) which makes sense and facilities maintenance product supplier W.W. Grainger Inc. (GWW).

Nuts-and-bolts distributor Fastenal Co. (FAST) and specialty contractor Quanta Services Inc. (PWR) came next in RBC’s ranking!!!!!

Number 4 out of 20!!! ~ stoney

#13     Jan 25, 2009
  4. Here's a screen grab from mid day on the Barron's names. Note the universal bounce and HUGE move in Stealthgas!
    FMCN 7.60 0.64 9.20% 1,791,583

TOT 50.68 3.26 6.87% 2,902,682

KYO 67.11 2.15 3.31% 6,956

INFY 26.92 0.86 3.30% 815,131

GASS 4.92 0.76 18.27% 416,504

FAST 33.05 0.58 1.79% 681,785

And here is the close... Focus gave back 2% Total remained strong Kyocerao KYO gave back 1%, INFY 1% FAST a heavy 1%... Not bad nobody went negative but which one to buy????? Total is a Liquid Nat Gas play, which is popular, has an agreement with gazprom, low cost production in Africa; $17 billion in cash and an S&P target of $92... AND a Merryl upgrade today.. (I was surprised to hear they were still in business!) Total would appear overall our strongest situated. The most going for it, the most promising chart, in the right sector and not giving back anything today... I'm leaning towards Total.

Focus Media Holding Limited (ADR) Focus Media NASDAQ FMCN 7.46 +0.50 (7.18%) 966.08M
    TOTAL S.A. (ADR) TOTAL S.A. (ADR) NYSE TOT 50.50 +3.08 (6.50%) 112.72B
    Kyocera Corporation (ADR) Kyocera Corporation (ADR) NYSE KYO 67.35 +2.39 (3.68%) 12.77B
    Infosys Technologies Limited (ADR) Infosys Technologies Limited (ADR) NASDAQ INFY 26.70 +0.64 (2.46%) 15.29B
    StealthGas Inc. StealthGas Inc. NASDAQ GASS 5.00 +0.84 (20.19%) 111.55M
    Fastenal Company Fastenal Company NASDAQ FAST 32.60 +0.13 (0.40%) 4.84B

Tomorrow or the next day we will look for our chance with TOTAL, with an eye on FMCN & GASS both of which did catch a lot of volume today off the menttions and INFY is kind of standing out amidst the backtrop of Sataym & what of this Stealth gas holey S*hit it went through the roof. Opened there. there was a press release about two boats they got into service, one was a real clunker, but maybe one wasn't factored into the numbers... They also released a list of ships and how they are being deployed... must have been something there. Tough to tell from the outside eye.The stk screamed- now for Scott Black this is going to look great- but we never got a chance to buy it... it just magically started trading 18%-20% today... 1st day after the issue; day 1 of the Barrons Game.... It's on! ~STONEY
    TOT
    FMCN
    GASS
    INFY
    KYO

~stoney

#14     Jan 26, 2009
  5. Well every day is a new day and a new view... with news of big gains in Asia- and some repressed buyers on Holiday for the New Year- my mind has suddenly shifted to the foreign names not French on our list which would be KYO and INFY... We are buying INFY this morning - KYO ADR trades extremely low volume which bothers me- more currency issues too. Have to double check on the price $26 something. ~stoney

#15     Jan 27, 2009
  6. HOLD THE PHONE!

We are still not in on INFY. My peeps have agreed to fax me a report from a brokerage I want to read that first. The idea here is can they benefit from the Satayam blowup.

To make matters worse our initial pick FAST has suddenly shot up 5%. When it crossed $33.50 it triggered a buy order I left yesterday that was supposed to expire, I guess inadvertently it got put in as good till cancel ...

Whoops. Now we are stuck in FAST heading into a bad GDP number which is perhaps not where want to be... Now we have a problem. There is only so much money to move around, less and less lately and I already sold HERBALIFE and VERTEX this morning to get into position to play the Barrrons game... Arrrrg!

I guess we could jump right back out of FAST with a small gain, it's up an additional 50 cents... but jump where?

Isn't the easiest answer just TOTAL!!!
    Where is Wink Martendale when you need him?
    This Barrons game is supposed to reveal the simplicity of setting up watch lists and creating new actionable ideas each week out of nowhere and making good cash on a small investment- the price of a Barrons. Instead it has morphed into a bit of confusion as First we set up to buy FAST but it never moved yesterday so I thought the idea was moot and then we moved on to the INFY idea but never got the trade done, waiting for research and then around 11:00 we got dinged on the FAST when I'm trying to keep powder dry!!!! Sloppy.

Anyway the cleanest trade right now is RIMM for $5 but that wasn't in Barrons... Total, Fastenal and INfosys were which one? which one?... And none of that even mentions Fmcn which reacted well yesterday and is sitting in a nice flag at the moment..
    We clearly need Wink. I'm putting the call in.

To Be continued.... ~ stoney

#16     Jan 27, 2009