It's over for the democrats, Nader is running!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I do not believe there is any limit to the number of candidates that can run. Anyone can be on a state's ballot if they go through the qualifying process.

Aphie, have you ever voted in a Presidential election? There are ALWAYS more than three candidates in the majority of states! Look it up. (like you should have before asking the question....between this and "cosmetology and astrology" it seems you are sleep deprived lately)

Peace,
    :)RS

#21     Feb 22, 2004
  2. I have literally gone out every night this week drinking. My brain isn't "all there," so to speak. I am just celebrating ... something.

I would have looked it up, but since I was at work on a Sunday, I took the lazy approach and just asked. :)

I'm going to go read about the latest developments and discoveries in cosmetology now ... I mean, if you take "et" out of cosmetology, you get what I was after to begin with. Which, ironically, stands for extraterrestrial. But I digress, my brain is shot.

#22     Feb 22, 2004
  3. cdbern

cdbern

Shunned by whom? It would be quite an event if by some miracle he pulled it off. But that doesn't solve the bigger problem of Congress. Congress should be called the House of Thieves.

A movement/candidate doesn't get too many shots and as much as I agree with Nadar's position on some things, I think he's yesterday's news.

#23     Feb 22, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Aphie,

There won't be any independent candidates that will siphon away votes from Bush. Nader gets a lot of votes because there are a lot of environmental activists out there and they always get behind Nader. If it was just a independent democrat he wouldn't get any votes. There really is no issue that an independent quasi republican could run on that would cause people to vote for him. There is a party out there called the Tax Freedom Party that always has a candidate on the ticket, and they never get any votes.

I like Nader running. He is forcing the left to be honest. If the left weren't such sellouts to special interests, he wouldn't run. Now to be fair and balanced, I wish the right did have a Nader equivalent. Someone that could run and force the right to stay honest to their ideologies. The only person that could possibly do that would be maybe McCain. But too many people on the right see McCain too close to the center to really do anything and he doesn't really have a hardcore issue that wold make conservatives flock to.

#24     Feb 22, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

There is a fine line between genius and stupidity. It's a fine line I walk. LOL.

#25     Feb 22, 2004
  6. I am not a very politically "active" person, but if the Kerry/Hillary ticket comes to pass I would certainly be big time. Hillary is the most evil and power hungry person I have ever witnessed.

I would have Bush bumper stickers and lawn signs...and I don't really care for the guy.

#26     Feb 22, 2004
  7. As a Nader voter last time, I fully agree with the above statement and it illustrates a tough issue. There is no real opposition in this country. The democratic party since Clinton became president truly has been republicrat/corporate. Sure there are minor differences in social issues but more importantly, Clinton destroyed welfare, tried to give the entire health care system over to insurance companies and bombed Iraq almost weekly continuing the imperial policy of Bush 1.

Now we have Kerry and Edwards, the supposed opposition. Iraq policy: they both voted for the war, and while critiquing Bush's lies that got us into the war, when pressed, admit they would not abandon the US occupation. Again, they both vote for the police state, while criticizing around the margins. How can this be called an opposition?

Maybe the Democartic party needs to be destroyed by another Nader run in order to be rehabilitated??

#27     Feb 22, 2004
  8. cdbern

cdbern

Agree, and that is just on what we've SEEN. Its what goes on behind the scenes that's especially scary. I'm not sure the word evil really describes her. Seems tame.

Unfortunately I don't think Nader running and causing Dems to lose will jar them out of the hole they're in. The leadership of the Dem party represents the ideology of the party. To change direction requires a change... across the board... of leadership. Right down to the District & State level. The State Committee sends reps to the National Committee who in turn select the National Chairman. Its the Party's ideology that Nader is running against. I think special interests are so firmly entrenched in the Party at every level, changes within the party won't happen for decades. What you will see is the gap becoming wider, the left becoming more extreme. Almost to the point of being rabid. These extremists are vicious. Their idea of compromise is for the opposition to quit. Everything has to be their way or the fight isn't finished.

I wish Nader success. Also wish there was someone likeminded on the other side.

#28     Feb 22, 2004
  9. Nader is running without Greenparty money.

He is a non factor this time.

The balance of the election will be decided by those new voters who were unable to vote last time.

The question, the key question is this:

Of those who voted for Gore last time, will they really vote for Bush this time around?

All citizens just barely under voting age 4 years ago are now eligible.

A percentage of voters are no longer eligible due to their passing (except in Chicago where they are still on the voter registration lists) and chances are that they voted conservative 4 years ago.

We have new citizens eligible to vote on the basis of their having achieved citizenship through becoming citizens.

Pat Robertson "could" run on a right wing basis as an independent.

There will be a Libertarian candidate.

Dennis Kucinich may also decide to run as an independent.

What Kerry and the democrats needs to do is contrast themselves with Bush on terrorism. Bush is going to campaign hard on terrorism, as fear is a powerful tool to control the weak minded.

Bush and company are using fear as a tool, some suggesting that terrorism is a bigger threat to life in America than was the danger of nuclear war with Russia.

Kerry need to inspire a sense of freedom and faith. People are sick of living life in fear of a terrorist threat.

The war on terrorism need not be fought with people in this country living in fear of a terrorist threat, and surrendering all their freedoms for a false sense of security provided by Bush and company. The "elevated" warnings are a joke.

A grass roots campaign on campuses to register young people, work in the poor communities to get people registered, and money spent on driving these people to vote in November will be more important than ads on TV.

#29     Feb 22, 2004
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

If the new young voters and the immigrants are going to decide the election, then Bush is a lock. He is recruiting more young people then the left is, in fact, I think based on the number of 18-25 year olds that are registering to vote for the first time, they are overwhelming registering as republicans.

And the immigrants, what do you think? Bush has rolled out the red carpet inviting them into this country and promising them jobs. Who do you think they are going to vote?

#30     Feb 22, 2004