Its official, Palin Rocks!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Talk about a double standard. We've been hearing for months that Obama has basically done the equivalent of walking on water, all because of a few...speeches read off a teleprompter.

We saw at the Saddleback forum what Obama does when he doesn't have his little friend. McCain handed him his head.

I wonder how many people could be suddenly thrust into the limelight like she was with little warning, attacked mercilessly by the media for a week, then give a speech with a malfunctioning teleprompter to 38 million people that had viewers comparing her to Ronald Reagan? Not many, is my guess. She has "it", and voters can see it plainly, even if the leftwing media cannot.

#51     Sep 4, 2008
  2. ak15

ak15

The Teleprompter did not break

Sarah Palin delivered a powerful speech last night, but she did not "wing it."

Which is what Erick Erickson, citing sources close to McCain, has written on his blog, RedState.

Erickson writes that "the Teleprompter continued scrolling during applause breaks. As a result, half way through the speech, the speech had scrolled significantly from where Gov. Palin was in the speech."

This claim has been picked up on Drudge and could quickly enter into the insta-mythmaking about a speech that need not be embroidered.

Perhaps there were moments where it scrolled slightly past her exact point in the speech. But I was sitting in the press section next to the stage, within easy eyeshot of the Teleprompter. I frequently looked up at the machine, and there was no serious malfunction. A top convention planner confirms this morning that there were no major problems.

Erickson writes that the same malfunction happened during Rudy Giuliani's speech earlier in the night. Again, I watched the Teleprompter during this speech, and it worked without problem. Giuliani, as is his wont, simply decided to go off-script and add some new lines, such as one attacking Obama for his "bitter" comments.

These extemporaneous comments, many of which drew huge applause, made the former New York mayor's speech run much longer than planned. So much so that a convention planner confirms that they had to scrap a planned video ahead of Palin's speech.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/The_teleprompter_did_not_break.html

By Jonathan Martin 11:21 AM

#52     Sep 4, 2008
  3. Maybe if you and your family were hungry you'd be praying for work.

While Americans go to work today at Burger King the left advocates killing off the industries actually providing good paying jobs in sectors such as energy, pharma and dare I say the trading business.

Any one left behind who is able to prosper can just serf for Big Brother six months a year.

Reminds me of JFK's slap down on the steel price increases in 1962. Well America doesn't have the steel industry to kick around anymore, do we? And Gary, Detroit and Cleveland aren't the worst for wear, eh? Hey but thanks to the Democrats those unemployed steel workers were able to get bigger welfare checks. Nice trade.

#53     Sep 4, 2008
  4. There's a difference between praying for what you need, and what you want.

Kind of like there's no atheist in foxholes.

Who could begrudge someone praying to live when they've been diagnosed with cancer?

But to pray for a pipeline? That's tacky and I don't think G_d likes such antics.

#54     Sep 4, 2008
  5. God say's "drill baby drill."

BTW: You're ref to the Joplin song got a chuckle out of me.:)

#55     Sep 4, 2008
  6. Excellent point. All the other candidates are known to be capable of extempore speech. Palin reads some text cobbled together by the Republican brain trust and people are claiming that 'A Star is Born'!!

Meanwhile, she's still under at least two investigations and has hired an attorney to deal with her legal troubles.

#56     Sep 4, 2008
  7. Halfway through Sarah Palin's speech tonight at the RNC, people following the speech noticed she was deviating from the prepared text.

According to sources close to the McCain campaign, the teleprompter continued scrolling during applause breaks. As a result, half way through the speech, the speech had scrolled significantly from where Governor Palin was in the speech. The malfunction also occurred during Rudy Giuliani's speech, explaining his significant deviations from his speech. [see the update below on this part]

Unfazed, Governor Palin continued, from memory [and relying on her printed text, clearly looking down occasionally at the printed page], to deliver her speech without the teleprompter cued to the appropriate point in her speech.

Contrast this to Barack Obama who, when last his teleprompter malfunctioned, was left stuttering before a crowd unable to advance his speech until the problem was resolved

http://www.redstate.com/diaries/redstate/2008/sep/04/breaking-sarah-palin-winged-her-speech-bec/

#57     Sep 4, 2008
  8. The rest of the story:

The claim was picked up by the highly-trafficked Drudge Report, immediately launching it into the larger conversation. According to Jonathan Martin at Politico, however, it isn’t accurate.

“Perhaps there were moments where it scrolled slightly past her exact point in the speech,” Martin wrote. “But I was sitting in the press section next to the stage, within easy eyeshot of the Teleprompter. I frequently looked up at the machine, and there was no serious malfunction. A top convention planner confirms this morning that there were no major problems.”

After Martin’s post, Erickson defended his report in an update. “MSNBC and Fox both report that there were problems with the teleprompter,” he wrote.

“BTW, I've gotten one more clarification from the McCain campaign: by the end of the speech the problem had been resolved,” Erickson added. “But you can clearly see during the middle Palin looked at her text often."

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/04/politics/horserace/entry4416482.shtml

#58     Sep 4, 2008
  9. We can all agree on Joplin. :cool:

#59     Sep 4, 2008
  10. ak15

ak15

This is exactly what I referred to in my earlier post on this subject along with the source - J Martin. However, I suppose some people like to shoot first and then ask questions later. Maybe?

#60     Sep 4, 2008