It's Official: Microsoft Vista Sucks. Just ask Microsoft Execs.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Question:
    What's the difference between doing all that work (the slipstream) and just making an iso of my C:/ drive as it exists today?

It seems to me that the drive as it exists today would serve me better because it has so many more programs on it that I will want if it becomes necessary to replace or format the drive.

Hence imaging the drive today would save me that much work getting all my programs back up and running. Kind of like hacking a raid that does not exist.

#41     Mar 11, 2008
  2. TGregg

TGregg

I did it because I swap out various hardware. Seems like every couple years I install some new card or chip or memory, and thats when I reinstall the OS. If you're going to keep using the same platform then it'll be faster to ghost & restore, especially if you are going to save & restore the same apps. But if you are planning on using XP on your next box, you'll appreciate your CD. You can always make one then.

The main reason I figured it out was because XP (with no SP) can only see a small hard drive like 125 gig or 150 or something. You need at least SP1, as I recall if you want to have a whole partition that is of a decent size.

#42     Mar 11, 2008
  3. There are two major problem with Vista.

1) MS didn't pressured the OEM and hardware company to release good driver for it.

2) The biggest mistake is they released a 32 bits version of Vista. WTF were they thinking? There is a reason why I went form 95 to 2k, because 2k runs on 32 bits. Since Vista has both 32 and 64 bits, there is no reason to upgrade to another 32 bit system. After all, most machine able to run 64 bits nowadays. OK, everyone who thinking about upgrading Vista should go 64 bits, correctly? Wrong, because there is just no good 64bits driver.

#43     Mar 11, 2008
  4. Guys, I need your help when my new system comes in. I ordered a Linux-preconfigured Thinkpad (which they just started selling - SUSE versions).

I want to load Windows XP onto, whether keeping Linux partitioned, or not.

You will have the satisfaction of helping a truly and sadly technology-challenged idiot, and that alone should be worth some Karma points.

It should arrive in about 1 week.

#44     Mar 11, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

You've probably thought of this before, so pardon me if this is redundant...

Suggest:

1. Fresh install of WinXP + Windows Update + "permanent programs".. like Office and video/sound card drivers + preference tweaks.

2. Make an image of the above, and call it "Base"... you can always restore to this point.

3. Whenever you have to "restore your system from Base", update everything that was previously Base, and now this updated version becomes [new] "Base".

4. To a separate copy of Base [just what's on your C:\ drive, most likely], add all of your programs and other. I make an image and call it "Current".

5. Periodically image "Current".

Now, you'll have various "important restore image points" which you can use to get up and running quickly regardless of reason for corruption or failure.

#45     Mar 11, 2008
  6. The main problem I can think of with using an .iso or mirror image of your current hard drive is if you plan on using the setup on a significantly upgraded or changed machine or on another computer. Because of the Windows copyright security detecting different hardware, the Windows OS might disable itself.

In any event it's good to have a CD copy of the OS just in case. If your hard drive ever dies on you, you'll appreciate it.

#46     Mar 11, 2008
  7. obsurd... dell telling me i can't downgrade my vista back to XP (i have my old XP cd). Is this absurd? Saying my cool functions like media reader, bluetooth sync, other hardware won't work with XP. Is this true?

#47     Mar 11, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Maybe. But if Dell offered your computer model with XP, you can download all the drivers from their website. If your model was never offered with XP, you might be SOL.

#48     Mar 11, 2008
  9. I was at a computer shop having my computer repaired and there was another customer who wanted to have XP installed instead of the pre-installed Vista on her laptop. The problem was that a lot of the hardware for the laptop did not come with XP drivers and only had Vista drivers. One had to trawl the deep dark corners of the internet to find possible solutions some of them not official and possibly hacked workarounds. Not exactly the most secure way to go. If you do want to install XP instead of using a pre-installed Vista I recommend making sure you take down all the specs of the various devices and drivers on your computer and searching beforehand for XP drivers to make sure they are available.

#49     Mar 11, 2008
  10. I have a better idea, CAPA: take the Vista. The major complaints about Vista are comng from bitheads (as in bits-&-bytes) and not the general public.

If you are a normal person who only uses a computer to do typical "stuff" and you are buying a new system, it is absurd to go with any operating system other than Vista. Buyng a new computer with Windows XP puts you at least one generation behind current technology and you will only fall farther behind from there.

#50     Mar 11, 2008