It's Official: Microsoft Vista Sucks. Just ask Microsoft Execs.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 8, 2008.

1. It sucks because I bought a brand new computer with lots of RAM, etc a few months back but with my new PC using Vista it's about as "fast" as the one I replaced.

#11     Mar 8, 2008
  2. That's what I've read, too.

Windows Vista benchmarks MUCH more slowly than XP, even with the fastest processor and plenty of RAM. Boot up and shut down time suck, too.

Thanks for the tip, Nik. I'll call Lenovo tomorrow and see what I can do. I already ordered the system and was planning on just using a copy of XP that I already have - but then, there's that ThinkVantage bootup procedure.

I hope Lenovo hasn't lost the IBM satisfaction touch.

#12     Mar 8, 2008
  3. They sort of shot themselves in the foot by not stopping XP support right now. People will have no choice but to upgrade to Vista.

#13     Mar 8, 2008
  4. I'm still using W2K, some research suggested it was better than
    XP in the opinion of W2K users — what do XP users think ?

what I've found in general with some new version programs is
    I uninstall them and go back to the original version I was using
    I found with the WP suite I was having to do 3 extra clicks all
    the time, MetaStock v 10 changed the fibo tool to a version I
    don't like; point being new does not equal better

#14     Mar 8, 2008
  5. Good luck. My experience was that most of the Lenovo guys were okay, a couple were not great. I would just terminate the call and call back if I got a guy who sounded like he wasn't into being there that day. They're technically not supposed to support you for any software related issues (this apparently includes OS downgrades) but in practice the guys were pretty helpful to me.
    I'm no techie, but isn't XP built on the NT 4.0 architecture, same as Win 2K? (I'm guessing I'm wrong on this, someone will correct me soon enough).

All I know is that Win 2K was very stable and XP has been pretty much the same, but not quite as error free (programs crash more often, almost unheard of in Win 2K).

#15     Mar 8, 2008
  6. new$

new$

xp has been great for me 10x times better than 98. I keep waiting to hear vista has got over the hump but if not i guess it was like winme -a dud.
    I'll not be goosed again: if Balmer quits xp before there is a viable replacement I'll go Mac or learn how to use Linux.

#16     Mar 8, 2008
  7. CStar

CStar

I've purchased new computers with every major OS in them since Windows 3.1 and in my opinion, Vista is an absolute failure. I have programmed for over 25 years and I have seen a lot of progress from pre-windows operating systems to 3.1 and the jump between 3.1 and 95. Most everything after 95 has been a disappointment. 98SE was an improvement over 95 and XP was in some ways an improvement over 98, well, after SPII that is, but Vista is certainly not an improvement over XP. It is thwarted with bugs. Myself and a lot of people I have communicated with online have been victims of Windows Updates that caused Vista to crash and in some cases, not boot up again. Fortunately for me, I can fix all of that but I'm sure for business owners that are not very computer savvy, this latest Micro$oft release in nothing short of a nightmare.

The UAC security is a mindless invention that is 10-times the pest 'Clippy' ever was. In my opinion, Zone Alarm can run circles around Micro$oft security. The irony is that all of the extra Vista security additions mostly lead to a buggy operating system and some of these updates, which are mostly security files, cause even more problems for the user than if they actually did get a virus.

In addition, the operating system is so bloated that a virus maker could have a field day with it because in general, the larger the operating system, the easier it is to hide a virus. Also, the virus can be more complex. It is also harder to remove them.

All this negative attention is why I believe the fools in charge of this go-no-where 'growth' company have finally decided to make a scaled back OS called Windows 7, which is slated to arrive in about two-years.

I think investors in Micro$oft want Ballmer out and maybe after Gates officially leaves this summer, that just might happen. I would like to see that company go through a complete re-vamping and start listening to consumers for a change.

So far, Micro$oft really doesn't have any well organized competition. Linux for example is far from organized enough but got a foot in the door last year with Dell. Apple still suffers from the artistic temperament of Steve Jobs to rule the OS world. I'd state Apple has certainly done well with diversification and even though I don't own or want an iPhone, I can see the appeal (an Apple with 'appeal') for them.

OK, it's been pun. Rant over.

Pete

#17     Mar 8, 2008
  8. Sonofabitch.

I knew I should have popped for a macbook.

#18     Mar 8, 2008
  9. what's all the big fuss, all the windows upgrade are like that - from 3.1 to 95 to 98 to me(worst) to xp to vista.

Never run out and buy the new OS, always wait about 2 years before making the upgrade, allow the bugs and hardware issues work themselves out.

The only time i bought the upgrade as soon as released was from 3.1 to 95, that was just such a huge upgrade, every possible part of the operating system was improved. It was THe best upgrade microsoft has done.

Then from 95 to 98 to me was just all fluff. The XP upgrade was another big step after they fixed the initial bugs and released SP2. Now sp to vista looks very smililar to 98 to ME, there is just no substance but a ton of headache and some fancy graphics.

I dont plan to upgrade to vista for a very long time..

PS just a fyi, if you buy PC from dell SMALL BUSINESS, you can still pick windows xp as the OS, they dont force you to use vista like dell HOME.

#19     Mar 8, 2008
  10. CStar

CStar

I know Gateway offered XP for laptops August of last year. I'm not sure if they still do or not. You can but a retail version of XP online from several outlets for about 90-100 dollars if you shop a bit. The pain is that you have to uninstall Vista from your new computer or buy a computer without an OS to accomplish this.

Pete

#20     Mar 8, 2008