its bad taste to hope for an economic meltdown

Discussion in 'Trading' started by indo, Aug 4, 2007.

1. indo

indo

i understand a lot of traders on this forum are quite wealthy thus its easy for them to call for the failure of large corporations. i've seen too many posts where people are calling for the destruction of bsc or cfc because of their practices. however the vast majority of the population cant afford a financial meltdown and especially those who are just starting out in their mid 20's. its easy to be righteous when you have millions in the bank.

2. LT701

LT701

i think the most important thing to remember, it that whatever people on this forum hope for, really makes no difference

whatever's going to happen, will happen

3. there wotn be an econ meltdown so it doesnt matter

4. Well alright then, the answer man shows up with his mangled grammer to set everyone straight. Is that from all the hydro you smoke or is it more the meds?

5. My friend, I am afraid you are in the wrong business. You see, traders are in this business to trade. When 9/11 happened, the markets opened up days later and you have to trade through it and assess the impact of it on companies and general conditions. Trading is a business, and that's the cold brutal truth of it. Don't get me wrong, traders are humane just like everyone else. We grieve for losses or catastrophes that happen, but we also never let it get in the way of clear market judgment. It's not disrespect at all, you pay your respects and you let it go - sometimes you can't help situations, and usually it's always better to contribute if you have extra money for the cause. When Chernobyl happened, you can bet traders were assessing the impact it would have on global agriculture markets.

I also fail to see why it is bad taste for an economic meltdown. I'm young and poor, but I understand that the economy works in cycles. If the economy is expanding and inflationary for too long, that's a bad thing too. Deficits have to be paid for eventually, and we only borrow against the future.

If it happens, it's going to be out of my control. What I CAN control though, is whether I'm positioned to profit from it so I don't get my stake wiped out.

Anyways, an economic meltdown isn't so bad if you think about it. To build up new muscles, you essentially tear down the old ones and build new ones in its place. The economy is no different. The great depression brought along increased government regulation, ingenuity, and essentially the "welfare state" (Although, I'm not arguing this is all a good thing, I'm more along the lines of proposing that an economic breakdown causes drastic changes).

6. When was the last "real economic meltdown?" 87? 98? 01?

Russia was in meltdown 10 years ago, runs on banks blood in the streets, so was Korea and the entire "Asian contagion".

Returns to equilibrium are getting more and more compressed... Have no fear, buy the fear (just wait for suicial tendancies on real estate)

7. The last econ meltdown was in the 70's

and the one prior to that was in the 30's

In the past 100 years there have only been two econ meltdowns

8. So? The coming 100 years we only will have 2 again? When does the 100 years start?

Come to think of it, your sequence might indcate the next meltdown is at 30->70->10? Omg, that is NOW!.

Ursa..

9. So how much money do you want to lose going short waiting for that next meltdown? :p

10. If people make bad decisions or over leverage themselves, they don't deserve to get bailed out. I don't care if they are 25 or 65.

The traders here got wealthy by making bad decisions getting burned then coming back and learing from their mistakes.

Get in touch with the reality of this business.

#10     Aug 4, 2007