It's all about being disciplined and organized

Discussion in 'Trading' started by framework, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Perhaps just a quick comment about screen space. When writing this software, I assumed that most traders have more than one screen - I use 3 nineteen inch monitors. My charting software uses center and right screen, everything else on the left one.
    I hope I was right with my assumption.

#31     Dec 21, 2005
  2. I agree with elindy about the ability to download the trades from your broker for analysis in some format like this or similar program where one can study/review trades in more detail. Especially from popular brokers like IB or tradestation.

#32     Dec 21, 2005

3. hahaha brilliant:D :D :D

#33     Dec 21, 2005

4. after checking out the site (though only a few minutes I admit), it seems to be a useful tool to document and analyze your actions. However, where does this software help to make you more disciplined? Unless you can throw in some kind of features that suddenly alert a user when he is breaking set trading system, the trader will not be disciplined and will continue to struggle/loose. The organization is good, but that alone is far from stopping emotions, intuition, denial, etc from ruining a trader.

RT

#34     Dec 21, 2005
  5. Just took a quick look at the website and did the online tour. Looks very interesting but I have to agree with everyone...I would not pay $295 for this...if i saw it on the store shelf at Target or Walmart or something, I would pick it up definately for 30 bucks...I would probably think about it a bit if it was 50 but not sure if i would buy it at that price....anymore than that and i would say no for sure....but thats just me.

I know you might not think this is important because it has nothing to do with the software but i will put my 2 cents in anyway. The box is ugly...the box says "dont buy me" Just from a marketing perspective, you have 2 hands on a keyboard on a dark colored box. It looks like a typing program at first glance. You need color...I would suggest a bright green & red box (representing profit & loss) with ticker symbols on the box and a computer screen showing trading going on. Maybe a few dollar signs placed on the box :) Its not just about the software...use that subliminal advertising that says "if you buy me, you will be rich" Just like those ITT tech commercials...they tell you nothing about the school just show some guy on the beach saying he has "financial freedom" Even though you know hes only making 40k a year or less. (Actually went to an ITT tech school just to ask them how much they make when they get out of school) They did not want to tell me. I grilled them for about 2 hours telling them just give me a ballpark...give me any number. They finally said well there is one guy that started out at 38k a year but dont tell anyone i told you that. That was probably a high number if not the best number. They sell the dream, not the product.

Anyway...i just think you would have better lucking selling 20 units of your software at 30 bucks than 1 unit of it at 295 bucks. Just my 2 cents.

#35     Dec 21, 2005
  6. Can i put one thing straight, it's very rare i am provoked into a reply on this board but please.................this is so terrible i wish i was still in the world of furrior series! ..............The recently badly slated engineers will understand!

I have been paper trading now for over 8 month. I am just getting some consistency. This is through both objective stats and subjective market theory, hence theory!!.

Your site seems nothing more than a down graded version of Paris hilton's yearly calender. I DONT TRADE LIVE, but to think anyone is trading options, or traffic light lollies, without seeing the big red lights on every trade board is a very scary thought. What exactly are you showing with this web site?

Here's a thought:

Make notes.
    Take notes of your notes.
    Amend your original notes (keeps all raw notes).
    make more notes.
    look for any correlations what so ever.
    scrap the lot.
    start again!

O.K, maybe a bit drastic, but please, organisation is surly the last problem any serious trader has.

You basically have a layman's terms to investing along with a sub standard logging system. Maybe it's just us mech engineers that realize the full potential of excel?

You know what the worst thing is.........................I think it's probably marketable in the big way to the next generation of comp users.

When i went to school every one went, now, a whole different state of affairs. Lots of un-educated easy option hopefuls and too much technology have to be a bad thing. Lets hope i master it before them......................I certainly will not use your site/download to do this.

My only advice is market it cheap and get your search engine rating up. Put severe warnings with your site and market it as a gambling prevention measure. A hopeful can use your systems and follow their profits, or more than likely, losses..............Economics and any analytical subjects would be my target. High standard students in problematic subjects like problems..........well stocks are a whopper, and you have a tool to asses it.

Being into Karma, and all that sh*te, be it on your conscience.

I am very suprised at the response you have had to this so far. Your web site resembles a uni assignment trying for an 'A' when the theory will only ever deserve a 'C'. (there's always 3 points for presentation though!!!)

I will again retire to my pit of observation and try and find some logic in a non logic world!!

#36     Dec 22, 2005
  7. playinforkeeps,

All those fancy charts, powerful computers, books, seminars, and yes, my software, will not make the difference at the end. The difference will come from how well you learn about yourself, how well you learn to manage your emotions (greed, fear, and hope). Paper trading is certainly a good idea but it will not help you with that.

For most traders, the first year of trading (real money) is one of losses, frustrations, etc... Most people give up within 6 months because they lose their trading capital. If you use my software, or any other similar tools, you will learn from your losses.

What do I mean by Organization: organization is not just about taking notes. Organization is about having a detailed trading plan that includes a strategy to enter and exit trades, money management rules (maximum risk per trade, maximum risk for all your opened trades, losses allowed per week before you stop trading, etc...), a description of your daily, weekly routine, and more. This is organization - as you see it is much more than taking notes. My guess is that most traders are not organized.

When I wrote the content of my web site, I made sure I was not selling any false hope. After all I am not selling a magical trading system. I also made sure that everything I said was 100% from any serious trader's point of view. I'm not sure if you think the content of my web site is too obvious or plain wrong, in either case I disagree with you.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and the time you spent preparing it.

#37     Dec 22, 2005
  8. dac8555

dac8555

You sir, are an a$$ hole. i agree 100% that the secret in almost any business is discipline and organization, and managing your cash flows well so you dont go broke.

You want a profitable strategy? you have been on this board since 2004 and you still dont have a strategy? man that should have been taken care of before you ever placed your first trade.
    try
    1. Break ups
    2. breakdowns
    3. 200 ma crossover
    3. triple MA crossover with RSI..double signal

backtest'em...go ahead. oh wait, you dont have a strategy after 2 years, you probably havent backtested anything either...just want an easy answer. the easy answer wont make a difference either becuse you have no DISCIPLINE.

the guy has a good idea to organize and create discipline (which admittedly is pricey and can be done on spreadsheet). and you? you just waste your time insulting people.

#38     Dec 22, 2005
  9. mark1

mark1 Guest

amen

#39     Dec 22, 2005
  10. again....where's the enforcer of discipline in this service/product?

#40     Dec 22, 2005