Its about time:judge rules National Day of Prayer unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Hey stu - pid,

"The Mayflower has a famous place in American history as a symbol of early European colonization of the future US."

http://www.timepage.org/spl/13colony.html

#11     Apr 16, 2010
  2. stu

stu

Well I'm sorry too Wallet, but those 13 colonies were established in 1607 largely by European settlers. Not subsequently by the Mayflower Puritans.

I know many Christians would like re-write history as if it was Christianity that made it , but that just doesn't work.

#12     Apr 16, 2010
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

http://www.timepage.org/spl/13colony.html

#13     Apr 16, 2010
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

#14     Apr 16, 2010
  5. jem

jem

Stu the jim jones of et atheists. He shows up on all the threads... and frequently makes up facts.

#15     Apr 16, 2010
  6. stu

stu

I don't think you two have one brain cell between you. Well I know jem doesn't own anything that resembles one.

Even when the dates and detail is in your face on your own link you'll deny what it says...

• "Based on George Weymouth's accounts of voyages to the New England area in 1606, two private companies were formed to seek a patent for colonization on the Atlantic Coast. One of these companies was called the London Company and it was given the southern Virginia territory. The other company was called the Plymouth Company and its patent was for northern Virginia. Both companies quickly sought to exercise their patents but the London Company was the first to actually place colonists on the shore. In 1607, 105 London Company sponsored settlers arrived from England to begin the story that we all remember from our school days. Since they were there representing England and its King, James I, they settled in an encampment they called Jamestown on a river they named the James River."

So even according to that, Colonists were already here as early as 1607 in the name of the King under Company patents and warrants by which means the 13 Colonies were established .

The Mayflower didn't arrive until 1620. Colonization had already begun.

Talk about living your lives by fairy stories, just so that you can believe in the delusion that bunch of christians invented America.

Still you're always good for a laugh.

#16     Apr 17, 2010
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yes they were
    Not according to the dates.

True and undisputed but YOU said all 13 colonies were already in place years BEFORE the Mayflower arrived in 1620.

"In 1623 two groups of English settlers, sent by Captain John Mason, arrived in what is now called New Hampshire and established a fishing village near the mouth of the Piscataqua River."

"New Jersey was originally settled in 1623 by the Dutch as New Netherlands."

"Although the Dutch West India Co. explored and began to settle the New York area as early as 1614, the principal occupation of the area did not occur until 1624..."New Amsterdam was granted self government and incorporated by the Dutch in 1653....In 1664, after King Charles II decided to reclaim the territory between Virginia and New England"

"In 1632 Charles I granted a Maryland Charter to Lord Baltimore (George Calvert, Baron of Baltimore). Lord Baltimore wanted very much to see the Colony become a reality and his son Cecil saw to it that the new Colony was settled. In 1633 the first group of settlers set sail for Maryland to establish a colony."

Rhode Island: "While scattered Europeans began to settle the area as early as 1620, the first permanent settlement wasn't established until 1636."

"Dutch traders had established a permanent settlement near Hartford, CT as early as 1633."

"In 1631, the first settlement was attempted in Delaware by Dutch traders led by Captain David Pietersen de Vries. By 1632 the party had been killed in a dispute with the local natives."

"North Carolina's outer banks were the scene of the first British colonizing efforts in North America. Both attempts, in the late 1500's, to form a colony on Roanoke Island did not succeed....
    Virginia colonists began to settle the North Carolina region in 1653 to provide a buffer for the southern frontier. In 1691 Albermarle, the northern Carolina region, was officially recognized by the English crown."

"In 1663 King Charles II created the colony of Carolina (named for King Charles II) by granting the territory, of what is now roughly North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia,..."

"As early as 1647, settlement occurred on what is now Pennsylvania soil by Swedish, Dutch and English settlers in the Delaware River region. In 1681 however, Pennsylvania's colonial status was sealed when approximately the present state of Pennsylvania was granted to William Penn..."

"There were a few Spanish settlements along the coast, north of Florida, in the 16th and early 17th century but what is now Georgia was originally just the southern portion of the Carolina grant. Hoping to provide a second chance for adventurous members of the English under class, King George II, in 1732, granted Georgia to James Edward Oglethorpe, an English general. In addition to its lofty social goals the new Colony was also intended to provide additional protection for its northern colonial partners. Prior to Oglethorpe and his party settling the area in 1733, Fort King George was the only English occupation in the area. The Fort, which was established in 1721...One of the Southern Colonies, Georgia started out as a Proprietary colony but eventually became a Royal colony in 1752..."

#17     Apr 17, 2010
  8. stu

stu

Your argument with me then is not that Wallet is wrong which by that you're suggesting he is, but the difference between.... 13 colonies were founded beginning 1607. and 13 colonies already being established by 1607.

So were I to correct my statements as follows , would they also be undisputed?

America was already being Colonized into the original 13 states
    but those 13 colonies were being established in 1607 largely by European settlers.
    Colonists were already here as early as 1607 in the name of the King under Company patents and warrants by which means the 13 Colonies were being established .

My hasty implication that the 13 colonies were already established was incorrect. So my apologies for any incorrect impression made.

Yet strangely , you have no argument against the utterly incorrect and misleading re-writing of history first made by Wallet.
    Now why is that?
    How come you landed on my case so vigorously for not expressing things clearly enough, but ignore Wallet's grossly inaccurate and untrue representation of the 13 Colonies and first settlers.

Completely untrue. They were NOT the first settlers by any means. In addition Virginia had already been established as a Colony which meant the 13 Colonies were already being established.

Virginia already had a colony . The 13 colonies were founded along the east coast beginning in 1607 and NOT in 1620 by a group superstitious Bible thumpers.

This country was certainly NOT established to promote and freely worship the God of the Bible. It already was established by the London Company and was to the greatest degree promoting nothing but trade.

Wallet's version would have America as an escape from one tyranny of God and King, straight into another one of God and Christians.

Yet you didn't mention a word against Wallet. How come you are so eager to attack only one side on this subject?
    Don't tell me , you're superstitious too.

Also, please notice, despite calling me stu-pid I refrained from referring to you as Loo-crumb.

#18     Apr 18, 2010
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'd think it'd be more accurate to have stopped with "colonized". The 13 original English colonies that rebelled against King George did not exist until many years later.
    Corrected for accuracy ( I think)

Your stock just went up a couple points

Had wallet been a little more arrogant and condescending I probably would have noticed his error.

I believe they were the second permanent English settlers.

Agreed, in fact less than half the passengers on the Mayflower made the voyage searching for religious freedom.

Hmmm... in the interest of time I'd say mostly true.
    As I understand it the Puritan separatists were looking to practice Christianity in a manner not tolerated by the Church of England. They're leaving had little to do with the King or politics.

Duly noted

#19     Apr 18, 2010
  10. Illum

Illum

Secret arrest, torture, disregard for common law, theft of property all ok... but not prayer. Who cares what a court has to say anymore.

#20     Apr 18, 2010