It's a recovery only if you're rich

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 2, 2011.

Is this a recovery for the middle class?

1. Yes. This recovery has lifted all boats

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Not by a long shot. The middle class is in danger of disappearing.

60 vote(s)
    74.1%
  3. I don't know.

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. I don't care.

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. Maverick74

Maverick74

You are not closing the sale with me. You know, I've watched the documentary of the homeless families in Anaheim that live in motels and saw the 60 minutes special last night on the homeless families of Seminole county in FL that live around Disney World. I'm always amazed at the stuff they are cramming into that motel room. The computers, the gameboys, the big TV's. I'm not blaming them for buying stuff, just saying that a large part of these people lived a little bit beyond their means.

#41     Mar 7, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

There is too much to respond too here now but let me just say that we have nor practiced free market capitalism in this country since 1913. Free market capitalism is what we need. What we have now is a frankenstein model of capitalism and government together with the fed.

You want to solve all the ills of the world Nitro, then start pushing for free floating interest rates. Let's see what money really costs when it can float on it's own power. Only then will we have true equality in this country.

#42     Mar 7, 2011
  3. Butterball

Butterball

Middle class families in the 60s lived in 1250 sqft homes with two or three kids. One tiny car, one land line phone, one TV, a tiny fridge, no pool. It's called living within ones means.

Today? 3000 sqft McMansion, two cars, TV in every room, a fridge the size of a van, a kitchen fit to run a diner, an olympic size swimming pool and of course an iphone for every child. But the middle class is moaning how terrible their life is and how much better the good old days were. Talk about distorted perception.

Some of these whiners ought to talk to their grandparents and ask them how tough and humble life was two generations ago.

#43     Mar 7, 2011
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

try outside the US....I am not referring to joe sixpack who consumes 30 times more than the rest of the world.

#44     Mar 7, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

I've stated on this board countless times that our prosperity in this country over the last 60 years has come at the expense of the rest of the world. Mean reversion time my friend.

#45     Mar 7, 2011
  6. kipster

kipster

rich get richer....but pay more taxes and hire more people
    to work for them...so creates more jobs? but that's on the global level... probably not hiring overpriced staff from the U.S.

cycle of death...how we dig ourselves out?

#46     Mar 7, 2011
  7. nitro

nitro

MUST READ:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43695970

What is the party of the poor? Certainly not the Democrats? Tea Party? Nope, no one gives a shit. Where is the new Karl Marx?

I understand that in a country such as the US, if you are not working it is mostly your own fault (sometimes that fault is the culmination of years of poor decision making). Still, there seems to be something structurally wrong with the world...

#47     Jul 11, 2011
  8. Mav88

Mav88

nitro, you keep looking at economics and government as some sort of religion, that there simply must be some sort of higher power to bring order.

Freedom does not promise you anything materially, neither does nature and if you can't handle that then you need to join a commune and live with your imaginary security.

Americans have screwed themselves pretty good, what children we are demanding big daddy government make everything all better.

Yes the american children want same government that thought trade with China was a good idea, that now owns 3 wars, who could not foresee 2 fat tail economic events in 8 years, who thrashes around desperately trying to puff up another blow-up-doll economic bubble, who has now hopelessly indebted us to the point that we all know there isn't a happy ending, who has promised over $60T in future unpaid for entitlements.

You nitro are the problem, you want your economic order and justice, you want a government chicken in every pot. Out of such demands rises such people as Vladimir Lenin and Adolph Hitler.

God I hate pointy headed navel gazers.... science and technology is the ONLY thing keeping us from living in mud huts and fighting for our food. It has what has allowed people like the person who invented that quote to sit around all day and talk about how great it must have been living in the trees.

Purely delusional and indulgent crap. Now that we all know what it is like to have the comforts of modern science and tech, how come I don't see any of you wankers running to live in the amazon with that tribe of whatever they are?

#48     Jul 11, 2011
  9. Mav88

Mav88

not buying it at all, in fact the opposite is probably more realistic. Germany, Japan, China, and Mexico have all risen by trade with us over the last 60 years and sometimes by direct investment.

US-Canada was largely a self contained economy in the 50's. We were innnovative, creative, productive, and not burdened with debt. I do not think we exported our way to wealth since there was nobody to get wealth from.

#49     Jul 11, 2011
  10. Butterball you nailed it.

#50     Jul 11, 2011