"It’s horrifying to imagine kids being proud to be white." — Newsweek, Sept. 14, 200

Discussion in 'Politics' started by phenomena, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Race baiting in the Last Bastion of a party in chaos. Every policy they have advocated is in direct oppostion to what the people want. Having a black guy in the Oval Office is the perfect set-up for the radical left. You don't like our policies, you're racist, therefore we can do what we want even if the majority of people are against it. Even if the policies fly in the face of common sense, no matter, we don't have to explain ourselves to racists.
    It's simply a perfect defense for an organization that cannot defend their idealogy in any other way.

#11     Sep 1, 2010
  2. It's no longer "in" to be white. It is extremely emasculating to be white nowadays.To be black, on the other hand is a symbol of leadership, alpha maleness, you get chicks of all colours and can even be president. So i would urge people to think about becoming black rather than white.

#12     Sep 1, 2010
  3. Eight

Eight

I live in an area that's jammed with European tourists in the summer. I watch them and I'm awestruck with how they are just so happy to be themselves... I compare them to the white americans that look like they should be apologizing for living and it's saddening. The left has done this to them, just beat them down and beat them down until they are truly psychologically downtrodden...

I'm no racist but whenever Blacks and Latinos want to man up and start competing with Whites in the private sector, my outlook is "go for it"... currently they extort via the legal system and wind up with little to nothing... how's that my problem?

#13     Sep 1, 2010
  4. 2009 Sorry, I just cut + paste.

#14     Sep 1, 2010
  5. This is disgusting.

Where is Tyler Durden when you need him?

#15     Sep 1, 2010
  6. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. They talk about if minority children hear (OFTEN) a bias to them, then they blame the teacher when they fail.
    And the white children can think they are better because they see they are from the group with more power.
    Both group have thier bias. That is what the article talk about.

"Bigler ran a study in which children read brief biographies of famous African-Americans. For instance, in a biography of Jackie Robinson, they read that he was the first African-American in the major leagues. But only half read about how he'd previously been relegated to the Negro Leagues, and how he suffered taunts from white fans. Those facts—in five brief sentences were omitted in the version given to the other children.

After the two-week history class, the children were surveyed on their racial attitudes. White children who got the full story about historical discrimination had significantly better attitudes toward blacks than those who got the neutered version. Explicitness works. "It also made them feel some guilt," Bigler adds. "It knocked down their glorified view of white people." They couldn't justify in-group superiority.

Minority parents are more likely to help their children develop a racial identity from a young age. April Harris-Britt, a clinical psychologist and professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, found that all minority parents at some point tell their children that discrimination is out there, but they shouldn't let it stop them. Is this good for them? Harris-Britt found that some preparation for bias was beneficial, and it was necessary—94 percent of African-American eighth graders reported to Harris-Britt that they'd felt discriminated against in the prior three months.

But if children heard these preparation-for-bias warnings often (rather than just occasionally), they were significantly less likely to connect their successes to effort, and much more likely to blame their failures on their teachers—whom they saw as biased against them.

Harris-Britt warns that frequent predictions of future discrimination ironically become as destructive as experiences of actual discrimination: "If you overfocus on those types of events, you give the children the message that the world is going to be hostile—you're just not valued and that's just the way the world is."

Preparation for bias is not, however, the only way minorities talk to their children about race. The other broad category of conversation, in Harris-Britt's analysis, is ethnic pride. From a very young age, minority children are coached to be proud of their ethnic history. She found that this was exceedingly good for children's self-confidence; in one study, black children who'd heard messages of ethnic pride were more engaged in school and more likely to attribute their success to their effort and ability.

That leads to the question that everyone wonders but rarely dares to ask. If "black pride" is good for African-American children, where does that leave white children? It's horrifying to imagine kids being "proud to be white." Yet many scholars argue that's exactly what children's brains are already computing. Just as minority children are aware that they belong to an ethnic group with less status and wealth, most white children naturally decipher that they belong to the race that has more power, wealth, and control in society; this provides security, if not confidence. So a pride message would not just be abhorrent—it'd be redundant."

#16     Sep 1, 2010
  7. So are you saying that racism doesn't exist? Or that if it does it exist that it should be ignored? Apparently, it's one of the two, so I'll let you decide.

I also have a fairly culturally rich background. Perhaps not quite as diverse as yours in my early childhood by your account, but it certainly flourished in university and beyond. Just because it may not exist in our own respective microcosms, so to speak, does not mean it doesn't exist. There's a fair amount of shit out there posing as something else when not blatantly outright. Apparently more so in the US than in Canada. Denying its existence, ignoring it, or sweeping it under the rug has never made any problem go away.

#17     Sep 1, 2010
  8. My wife and I recently attended a parent-teacher conference with my younger daughter's teacher. The teacher asked what kind of discussions we had with our children about race. I asked if there was a problem with my daughter, if she had done something that prompted the question. The teacher said no, that this was just part of the conference. So I answered the question. I told her that we teach our children that there is only one race, the human race, and we teach our kids to treat everyone equally. Later we found out from a friend that the teacher told the principal that she believed that "the father" (referring to me) had "racist tendencies" based on my answer to the question.

#18     Sep 1, 2010
  9. And unbeknownst to you, this can be used as a means to take your daughter and put her into states custody. It can also be used as a tool to threaten your wife into divorcing you and taking the children- with the threat of a motion by the state to take custody if she wont do so(although they don't say so explicitly it's very apparent in the subtext). Happens every day...

#19     Sep 1, 2010
  10. As much as it would moisten your vagina gabby, the thought police haven't yet been created. You will never eradicate racism, ever. Anymore than you will eradicate religion. And whether or not you like it, people are free to think and believe whatever they want. It's not up to you or the government to decide what are acceptable beliefs for people to have. If people want to be racist, it's absolutely their right, just like religion. The only measure that should be taken is to keep it out of government and policy, also just like religion.

#20     Sep 1, 2010