It this market being proped up?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by protrader-2K5, Aug 30, 2005.

Who is proping this market up?

1. No one, it's the natural order of things

30 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Plunge Protection Team (PPT)

23 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. Insititutional traders,

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Retail Investors / buy the dip investors

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. i agree the real selling has not even hit yet, just rotational moves getting ready for the inevitable.

#31     Aug 30, 2005
  2. OK, so I gather it was split-strike, i.e., a risk-conversion and not a same-strike synthetic.

#32     Aug 30, 2005
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Riskarb, Nitro doesn't understand synthetics. :D

#33     Aug 31, 2005
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Holding it up? Dude, the spoos came in 50 handles from their highs. LOL. Those are some mighty weak hands doing the holding.

#34     Aug 31, 2005
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Blah, blah, blah, blah.......yawn. :D

#35     Aug 31, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

Yes. More correctly I think they call my inital position a "bear collar", even though there is no underlying position, making the use of the term "collar" somewhat strange. It has a identical PnL graph (but slower) to a synthetic short with a slower delta, so I just call it a "synthetic short position with slower delta" for lack of liking the term "short collar."

I like the position because of the flexibility it gives...

nitro

#36     Aug 31, 2005
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Nitro, I'll throw you a bone here. It's called a bear fence. That would be the correct term. There is no such thing as a bear collar. A collar's purpose is to protect long stock.

#37     Aug 31, 2005

8. i forgot the market only goes up and never at any time are there cycles/periods of selling. the "long only" blinders sure killed a lot of retirement funds in 2000. the selling then was also inevitable, just another normal cycle of the market that yawning was found not to be effective in reducing the losses.

#38     Aug 31, 2005
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Macro, my criticism of you is not that your short, but the fact that you pretend to have a clue what is going on. Stop trying to over analyze the market and just trade. I don't give a rats ass about what retirement funds did in 2000. Just trade already. If I want analysis, I'll listen to John Madden on MNF. He is much more colorful and interesting.

#39     Aug 31, 2005
  10. thats right -- i only get to trade, while you keep posting your opinions on various threads -- ok i got it now.

:D :D :D

#40     Aug 31, 2005