It this market being proped up?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by protrader-2K5, Aug 30, 2005.

Who is proping this market up?

1. No one, it's the natural order of things

30 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Plunge Protection Team (PPT)

23 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. Insititutional traders,

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Retail Investors / buy the dip investors

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. LOL. Thanks. Always appreciate a good laugh.

#21     Aug 30, 2005
  2. it is not being propped up by any ppt bs, it is being held up directly through a massive liquidity pump from the institutional houses. there are very targeted and effective means of liquidity introduction into the market by the institutions as i have seen in the last several months. these are very different in pattern then what i had seen and measured before {like the oct/nov/dec rally}.

this looks much more desperate or last stand in nature as the pattern of futures and equities buy programs are very uncontrolled in appearance now. they just blast in at any and all price levels during the day ---- even at the very highs of many days they keep blasting away {seems very inefficient as compared to when they would predominantly happen near the lows of a days trading range}.

the buy program activity has actually been a very strong signal confirmation tool for trading long signals during the day. in the past the buy program activity seemed much more orchestrated and controlled, but these days it all looks "shoot from the hip" with no real obvious objective in many cases. also the buy program to sell program ratio on a daily basis is very different then before {prior to may}. another recent change is the buy program activity from the last two weeks seems to be loosing the effectiveness to hold price that it was able to do before --- the institutions "weighting" of buy program strength seems to be getting countered at times now with enough opposite liquidity to diminish the buy programs effect.

i will keep watching this liquidity war on a daily basis as i have found it very useful to pay attention to while trading.

#22     Aug 30, 2005
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

This analysis is worthy of a Metra ticket. :D

#23     Aug 30, 2005
  4. same thing i have been saying in several threads --- if you are noticing something different in the market {how many numerous threads on this subject in the last three months --- i stopped counting), then there is probably something to start tracking. everyone is not just suddenly imagining something that has always existed --- they are right, there is a difference to what is going on here over the past three to four months.

to those who have noticed/observed {something that a good trader will do} a difference --- good job, you are right!

for those that don't observe and adapt to changes in the market, you are then only left with a metra ticket. enjoy the ride! :D

#24     Aug 30, 2005
  5. newbunch

newbunch

Didn't Frederic Bastiat write about this "broken window fallacy" 150 years ago? People still don't get it.

#25     Aug 30, 2005
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Great, so the market is a changing. I'm glad we got that out of the way. Now back to your regular scheduled trading.

#26     Aug 30, 2005
  7. yes --- observe, measure, trade --- repeat.

none without the other!

#27     Aug 30, 2005
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Hell yeah there's a clear definition. Whenever a trader takes a loss on a short, the PPT was clearly the reason. Even if the market only goes up while the trader was in the long.

Geez, some people. ;)

#28     Aug 30, 2005
  9. nitro

nitro

I wanted slower delta because it was an overnight position. Plus, I had ideas of turning the synthetic short into a put vertical or other possibilites as I saw how the markets reacted during the day (one being a "ratio" bear Collar which would tie in this position with my ATS where the ATS is responsible for going long/flat the underlying), which was implemented (put vertical) late in the day today at a credit.

nitro

#29     Aug 30, 2005
  10. From what I see, inst. guys will be holding this up until the end of the month. Post semi decent numbers and after this weekend undo those postions as they may become sour due to the aftermath of Katrina.

#30     Aug 30, 2005