IT Support in Houston TX?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by RoscoeInTexas, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Any recommendations for a good all-round IT support service in Houston TX? Client is a single work-from-home user doing mainly graphics work (Photoshop) need support from time to time, modem, router, software support.

2. just21

just21

Google all it problems

3. The client is a lady who is great at graphics but with no interest in learning about anything else. Anybody use the Geek Squad from BestBuy?

4. Overnight

Overnight

If you knew what they were about, you would not ask that question. Avoid them. Find a local in the yellow pages.

5. Thanks, good to know. What is their angle - upselling?

How do I find a good support service? All I can think of is to ask around like this.

6. Overnight

Overnight

That is the basic premise...

The other problem is that they utilize pimple-faced youngins to "diagnose tech issues".

These kids have no idea what they are doing. They just run the standard anti-virus suites when someone brings in a computer that has issues. Then they will probably tell you that your computer is beyond repair, and offer "data recovery services" for another fee, as they sell you their pre-packaged bullshit which has the same diagnostic software they used to diagnose the problem, pre-loaded onto the machine that they are trying to sell you.

It is all bollocks. The business model works because people are dumb.

If you know a young kid, ask THEM to fix your machine. Or an old dinosaur. The folks in the middle are pointless.

Dir /a dude

7. Heh, thanks :)

There are a lot of companies that advertise 'support' and the ones that I have had anything to do with to date are pretty much like you describe - pimply-faced urchins with no actual clue apart from 'reinstall windows and buy new hardware', no actual diagnostics - saw that happen on a friends laptop that the Win 10 update had trashed. I'm in the dinosaur category and I can take care of myself but I don't want to become responsible for this client, I just want to help her find a good IT guy and step aside - I just built her a new machine as favor and I don't want to get sucked into a support role.

8. Farmas

Farmas

Today I learned that qualified data recovery assistance is very expensive. Can I try to restore the files that were removed? For example, through the program Uneraser. Who has such an experience?