It seemed cheaper to eat out than go to the store - even before this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wilburbear, Nov 30, 2011.

1. r-in

r-in

My kids haven't eaten the equivalent of 6" Subway sub in quite a few years. They all easily polish off a whole and would easily eat more. We don't make skimpy meals at home either for that matter. You get a lot more for our $2.50 than a half a Subway sub. One is in swim season now and in practice does 2-3 miles in practice, and probably more some days. The kid would starve to death off half a sub.

#31     Dec 2, 2011
  2. A 6 inch sub has more than 400 cals. Many choices are well 600 counting the high cal condiments that kids like (mayo, oil etc)

What kid needs more than 600 cals at a setting? :eek:

#32     Dec 2, 2011
  3. r-in

r-in

600 calories would only be 1800 after 3 meals. I know I take in more that that a day and my weight doesn't change. My kids would keel over on that little. I guess if you do nothing all day 1800 - 2000 would be fine. Add workouts and unless you are trying to lose weight, it just isn't enough, or even close for kids in athletics. The swim coach wants the kids doubling their calorie intake during the season. Even then they almost all lose a few pounds by the end of the season.

#33     Dec 2, 2011
  4. very true. An average active male needs 12-14 cal per pound of body weight. Competitive athlete might need double or more.Mike Phelps reportedly consumes 8,000 cal for his 190 pounds body.

#34     Dec 2, 2011
  5. Does anyone stop to think about what kinda crap must be in the Subway sandwiches, etc. in order for them to offer these prices. Preservatives and sulfites in the meat comes to mind; plus preservatives in all the condiments! Ugh. I highly doubt that Doctors Associates is so ethical that they are buying the best quality stuff for their franchisees.

Likely the stuff is not healthy. But then when I think about the old days when I used to eat the crap at Burger King etc. versus my healthy eating habits now, I cannot fathom how some people think that stuff is not harming their bodies over a longer term!

Whole Foods 'luncheon' meats have no sulfites.

#35     Dec 2, 2011
  6. Ahh but you err. If your figure of 12-14 cals needed per pound for maintenance is correct (that's a big "if" ), you fail to consider that is CALS per LEAN bodymass. (The reason is the ****bolic rate of "fat" is negligible because fat doesn't do much but lie there. )

The average male is over 20% fat. You as well the other detractors here are prolly well over that :D

20% BF would mean a 200lb male is 40lbs of fat easily.

160lbs X 12 = 1920cals
    160lbs X 14 = 2240cals for an "active male)

So, a 200lb active male needs about 2000cals per day to maintain. that sounds about right to me.

Even less cals if you're under 200lbs or greater than 20% BF, like 30% for example.

Traders aren't usually in the category of "active males." And usually overweight as a result closer to 30% BF i would imagine.

As you can see calorie requirement is often overestimated by quite a wide margin.

As for Phelps grandiose cal intake, that was a gross overexaggeration by the media to hype his story. No way did he eat 8000 cals/day

:D

#36     Dec 2, 2011
  7. ya i'll bet they don't..do they raise and process their own livestock..c'mon :p

#37     Dec 2, 2011
  8. Neither does the human flesh in Subway sandwiches!

CHOWCHILLA, Calif. — Health officials are investigating a woman’s claim that she found part of a human finger in a Subway sandwich...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1535532...ms-she-found-finger-subway-food/#.TtmQhPJxl0k

#38     Dec 2, 2011
  9. so what extra meat @ no additional charge..subway is great

would you like me to tell you what's in those hotdogs you love so much..cow anuses :D

#39     Dec 3, 2011
  10. lindq

lindq

Subway’s sandwiches are naturally high in sodium. Bread, cheese and many sliced meats typically have high sodium content. And most of its sandwiches exceed the federal government’s recommended daily guideline for adults of no more than 1,500 milligrams of salt per day.

And the overall quality of what you're putting in your body?

What do you think you're getting? Pure crap. Otherwise they couldn't make a profit.

Restaurants in general are serving much poorer quality food than in the past, and that is doubly true for the fast-food joints.

#40     Dec 3, 2011