It seemed cheaper to eat out than go to the store - even before this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wilburbear, Nov 30, 2011.

1. you'll be throwing out ROTTEN half those veggies bought in bulk before you can eat it all. my subway is FRESH everyday. Cheaper too :D

#21     Dec 1, 2011
  2. you can eat even cheaper buy hamburger helper by the case..bon apatite :D

#22     Dec 1, 2011
  3. Crispy

Crispy

You would know! :D

#23     Dec 1, 2011
  4. No I wouldn't! Not me. I just figured that since you think throwing a little beef in a bowl of macaroni stirring all up with big spoon is a "good meal" this be right up your alley :D

#24     Dec 1, 2011
  5. Just admit that you can't make a decent sandwich at home. Some of us can.

#25     Dec 2, 2011
  6. The cost of a full thanksgiving meal for a family increased 14% YOY according to an annual research report I read right around thanksgiving.

The businesses are raping all the money they can because they know people expect volatile prices during volatile times. You can buy turkey for $0.59 per pound if you buy it right or just grab any turkey you see for $2.00 per pound. Caveat Emptor.

#26     Dec 2, 2011
  7. Two dollars for a pepper?? Dammit the TV told me those trillions in bank releveraging / ecomomic stimulus came without any downside.

#27     Dec 2, 2011
  8. r-in

r-in

Geuss I'm glad I live where I do, as some of the prices you guys throw out for store bought food are insane. Cripes, even the rotissere chicken.. We grab one occassionally at Costco, I want to say they are 4 lbs and we pay $4.99. We usually buy 2 eat one for dinner with a vegie and something else, and the other we make soup and usually another dish for a dinner in the next day or two. I regularly buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 - $2.99 a lb. 90% lean(supposedly) ground beef I buy at Costco for $2.89 a lb, and it was $2.79 until recently. If I want higher fat ground beef I can get it for around $1.99 a lb at the local store. We pick up steak every soften at Costco(good meat there, at least here) and pay roughly $6.89 a lb, and we usually cut them in half and end up with at least a portion left over. This is feeding 3 teenage boys, all athletes. We will do baked potatos, a salad, and corn. The meat package is usually around $30, the potatos(we bake a few extra for soup or just to eat later) are at most $3, probably less with the monster bag we buy at Costco, maybe $2 worth of lettuce, say $2 worth of corn. Roughly $7.40 per person for the meal. There are 5 of us. Except in reality we have food left over to feed another 2-3 people that we use for lunches or whatever. So using 7 people served ~$5.28 or 8 ~4.63. That is a high per meal cost for us because of the steaks. I would guess we are normally under $2.50, and I know I do the 2 kids in high school and middle school under $2 and probably closer to $1. It kills me when they want to get the meal at school that runs $3.50 or more.
    As far as fresh we grow some of our own vegies in the summer, can't beat that for fresh and cost. At the same time we rarely have to throw and produce out because it went bad, but we plan pretty well being we are normally buying bulk with Costco. And yes Costco has great produce for the most part, but we do buy some on occasion from the local smaller grocery store that has great produce also.

#28     Dec 2, 2011
  9. Crispy

Crispy

I never said that. In fact I eat beef maybe 6 times a year. Meatball mix w .pork,veal and beef included. Not a big meat guy at all.

You`re delusional...and a poor shopper..:D

#29     Dec 2, 2011
  10. a 6 inch sub at Subway costs $2.50. i don't have to shop for it, don't have to fix it, don't have to clean up after it.
    i just eat it. mmmm, good, and good for you :D

#30     Dec 2, 2011