it really is game over, science fiction becomes fact

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mikasa, Jan 9, 2010.

1. mikasa

mikasa

I think you nailed it 100%

#41     Jan 9, 2010
  2. Friday April 13,2029

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/13may_2004mn4.htm

it supposed to be a 1 in 37 chance of hitting or something like that, but i saw a news report the other day that the Russians are going to start firing missles at it to help "knock it more off course" I could see this backfiring and instead of a 1 in 37 chance, they break up the asteroid and now its a 1 in 1 chance.

http://ro-b.redorbit.com/news/space/1803734/russia_warns_of_possible_asteroid_collision/index.html

#42     Jan 9, 2010
  3. With this financial crisis, the nukes are already in the air,my friend.

#43     Jan 9, 2010
  4. Nice try, but no respected scientist would ever be foolish enough to call something a 1 in 1 chance 19 years into the future or even 1 year into the future. That's what separates the average housewife prophet from a real expert. :D

#44     Jan 9, 2010
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

That's the wrong question. First ask

1) What brought us into it?

2) Why didn't we get out of it much more quickly like we did in early 20's Depression and every other depression from 1776-1928? Hint: the newly-formed Fed didn't get invovled in the earlier 1920's depression and the gov't actually tightened spending.

#45     Jan 9, 2010
  6. Specterx

Specterx

I think the worries about hyperinflation, etc. are misguided.

For better or worse, and despite all the hyperbole, the U.S. is a first-world country with a government and social institutions light-years ahead of Weimar Germany, or sub-Saharan Africa, or Tsarist Russia et al. Worst comes to worst, the government would implement capital controls, raise taxes and enact austerity measures. Maybe the Dow will look like the Nikkei, and maybe living standards will get slowly (and almost imperceptibly) worse, but life will go on and most people will not see any dramatic change in their real, material condition.

Of course, WWIII, Global Warming or Peak Oil could kick us down the stairs, but the invention of fusion power or warp drive or something could spark a new golden age and make these current worries seem like a distant, short-sighted diversion.

#46     Jan 10, 2010
  7. Actually, prior to their hyperinflation I believe they were one of the economic and certainly one of the cultural leading places in the world.

Other examples could be found surely but what makes Weimar so interesting a century after whas the heights from where they had fallen.

#47     Jan 10, 2010
  8. xiaodre

xiaodre

People who have kids, and care about those kids, never ever have this outlook.

Even if they are planning for an asteroid, Bruce Willis Armeggedon scenario, which may seem nutty and overwhelming, they never give up.

And that's a big part of the population of the world you and your point of view argue against...

#48     Jan 10, 2010
  9. I don't see any respect for government or institutions in this country. Just read the blogs. Apparently it will take greater pain than we feel now in order for the people to take ownership of their government, but if and when they do respect should return, ya think? I think real campaign finance reform is the starting point for progress, but people will have to demand it.

#49     Jan 10, 2010
  10. mikasa

mikasa

funny how things change the moment you become a father eh :)

gottatrade you have a point as well, only huge demand by people can bring change in policy

anything below 50 million people

forget it

#50     Jan 10, 2010