it really is game over, science fiction becomes fact

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mikasa, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Cheese

Cheese

Those many at ET that know little or no success in trading are willing to invest faith in the notion of a grand breakdown, a financial collapse like no other before or some form of uncontrollable meltdown. You can choose the words.

Short answer: ain't going to happen.

The current so-called Great Recession has been and is being broadly dealt with by the financial measures of the Fed & Govt first ending the initial crisis and now slowly bringing in recovery. The key issue that had to be won was restoring confidence. Broadly this has been achieved.

Success is about what works and how it works. For those without the prospect of substantial success, they seek belief in how things don't work and by extrapolation how the order of things around them will stop working and break down completely.
    :)

#21     Jan 9, 2010
  2. promagma

promagma

knightrader +1

Most people don't get this. They cannot handle uncertainty, so they delude themself one way or the other.

#22     Jan 9, 2010
  3. My main interest in the shifting of society models as I believe we are witnessing today is catching that short window of opportunity where huge profits are to be made for those who positioned themselves correctly before the transition begins.

Worrying about the possible negative outcomes of any scenario out there I have given up as well having come to the conclusion these are forces of nature at work here against which individuals have no leverage.

I know some believe it are international bankers and elitists behind the rise and fall of empires but I am more of the opinion these cycles have their roots in nature and perhaps the elite of the elite have just mastered the art of taking advantage of each swing better then the rest of us hence their position at the top of the food chain today.

#23     Jan 9, 2010
  4. Thats a pretty one sided bet. If you win, you get 20 real spendable dollars. If you are wrong and you have to pay us, we get 20 worthless unspendable dollars.

How about this...if you are right, we pay you 20$. If we are right, you pay us an ounce of silver. Thats a more fair bet for any of the gamblers out there.

#24     Jan 9, 2010
  5. Illum

Illum

I remember reading a quote from Cheney, that I simply can not find anymore to my dismay. Someone, some kind of aid to Cheney, asked Cheney about spending some large sum on a project. The person talking to Cheney was surprised at the sum of money and Cheney replied with something to the effect of "Spend it, it doesn't matter, just spend it." I got the same feeling your economics professor is having. I don't remember it being a national defense project, so using the line of thought that he was willing to go into debt for a purpose, didn't add up. Whatever it was, wish I could find it again, was trivial and gave me the feeling your professor has. They are not idiots something doesn't matter to them, or they have some purpose.

#25     Jan 9, 2010
  6. I agree that what we see right now is a deflation in food prices...but, those same drops in prices are causing farmers to stop farming. Once the full impact of the lack of production (from the farmers who left the market) and the worldwide meteorological conditions that are devastating food production around the world are felt...the price of food is going to go through the roof! Here are a few links...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126300087414822579.html
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/180...ent-opportunities-amidst-global-food-shortage

-gastropod

#26     Jan 9, 2010
  7. I believe the politicians are idiots, because they followed the desires of the "elites." I think the "elites" THINK they control the outcome. I think the "elites" want to bring about chaos and that they will take over by settling the chaos. I think the "elites" are dead wrong - the chaos will be more chaotic than their predictions. When this happens...best be in a "safe" place!

-gastropod

#27     Jan 9, 2010
  8. I'm a little younger but our big fears growing up were getting nuked, getting aids from mosquitos, needing to learn japanese to get a job, and (my favorite) the killer bees. I still worry about the bees sometimes, maybe they are still coming and just late.

#28     Jan 9, 2010
  9. What recovery are you talking about? How long do you think any country can last when it uses fiat currency? Look at history and then tell us why this time is different?

You believe the Fed? Have you any recollection at the number of predictions made by Berneke about the state of the economy since 07 that have turned out to be absolutely wrong?

LOL.

#29     Jan 9, 2010
  10. Barring nuclear destruction that will shorten everyone's miserable life on an equal footing, there could only be one outcome. The rich will be richer and the poor will be poorer. In other words, the middle class, which is the backbone of democracy, will be a foregone conclusion. Who knows, we might give another birth to the likes of Marx, Luther, or even Bin Laden to shake up the foundation.

#30     Jan 9, 2010