It is white collar jobs' turn for layoffs and paycuts

Discussion in 'Economics' started by xandman, Jun 21, 2020.

1. xandman

xandman

I'm not, either. Specifically, I think US and India should be joined at the hip. Let them produce all the engineers we need, regardless of the intellectual imbalance that causes their society. But, I need to shut up....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    #21     Jun 21, 2020
  2. Sig

Sig

Why don't you start your own company to compete with your current company? Non-competes aren't enforceable in CA.

#22     Jun 21, 2020
    AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  3. Anything and everything that can be replaced by AGI and AI will be done. The creative class will emerge due to a new resource progressive adaptability. All redundancies will be eliminated and complete streamlining of Corporatocracy will occur. I.e. WebMD, Legalzoom and online schooling (Lawyers, Doctors and Educators)

Profits only no people,

Akuma

#23     Jun 21, 2020
  4. Cuddles

Cuddles

I considered it as a profitable side business, but staffing & training isn't my passion ....I'd have to found it and let someone take the reigns after a while. I've got too many projects as is unfortunately. Yes, I know I'm venting and not offering to fix the problem.

Brain drain from developing countries does pose an ethical quandry not just in the immediate future but even from a biological/evolutionary stand point. Are we creating an unintentional eugenics program through merit immigration? On the other side of the ethics question, how can we fault someone from seeking a better life even if it means leaving for another land? Would we fault soviet defectors after all?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    #24     Jun 21, 2020
    yc47ib, Sig and xandman like this.
  5. ET180

ET180

I said "many cases" not all cases. There are also benefits to being a citizen that undocumented residents do not enjoy. One case where undocumented residents are treated better than citizens, at least in 19 states is in qualifying for the discounted in-state tuition:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/education/undocumented-student-tuition-overview.aspx

The downside and why everyone does not do that, from the link above:

"Even if undocumented students attend college, they will not be employable if they are still undocumented after graduation. A 2005 Wall Street Journal article depicts the grim situation facing Texas students who attend college under the undocumented student tuition law, and find themselves with a degree, but no job."

#25     Jun 24, 2020
  6. ET180

ET180

Sounds horrible. At least in the office, if it's large enough, you can go somewhere else if you don't want to be bothered.

#26     Jun 24, 2020
  7. Cuddles

Cuddles

That changed with DACA

#27     Jun 24, 2020
  8. Sig

Sig

In order to qualify for in-state tuition they had to have met the same basic standard as a citizen would have to qualify for in-state tuition, generally having gone to high school for at least 3 years in the state. So no, they're not being treated "better" than U.S. citizens, just the same (I realize there a technical differences in the qualification we could quibble about that made it not exactly the same, but it's close enough that we can all reasonably agree there's no real difference in practice).

And I have to point out, that's just one case, not many:sneaky:

#28     Jun 24, 2020
  9. Cuddles

Cuddles

Not to mention it's not even an advantage. All citizens are welcome to move to the state of their choice, go to high school there and pay property taxes through rent or ownerships which would give them the right to get in-state tuition. The same way undocumented students do.

#29     Jun 28, 2020
  10. Anything can happen in this pandemic situation. There is a huge number of layoffs being done by different companies and people are getting jobless.

#30     Jul 17, 2020