It is now time to SELL SELL SELL your GLD (GOLD)!!!!

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by retaildaytrader, Jan 23, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

#31     Jan 27, 2010
  2. Lethn

Lethn

I'm no expert but why the fuck would you sell gold this low when the inflation of the dollar is going so high and we've already seen the price go to nearly $2000?

I smell another Jim Cramer looking to try and sucker gullible people into their trading plans.

#32     Jan 27, 2010
  3. Wow really? That's a funny opinion.

Leaving inflation aside, which is very apparent in food prices, please explain how the money supply is not increasing.

#33     Jan 28, 2010
  4. The period that shows the least volume/price movement coincides with the rise of the FIRE economy. FIRE, of course, stands for Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate. Is was debt driven, ever increasing asset valuations that propelled (artificial) economic growth.

That era is OVER. The government will do what it can to maintain those asset valuations - to save jobs, pension funds, and banks... but it will fail. As economicst Michael Hudson plainly says: Debts that can't be paid off, won't be paid off.

It's called deleveraging. And yes, that would negatively impact gold. But my bet is that the gov't will fight tooth and nail to stop that process and will inflate away. It won't work, and as a result, gold will rise over the long term.

#34     Jan 28, 2010
  5. rew

rew

My view exactly. The government will produce as much fiat money (i.e., government debt) as it needs to in order to prop up prices.

#35     Jan 28, 2010
  6. menelaus

menelaus

The velocity of money is slowing big time, credit (which is also money) is contracting big time...Helicopter Ben cannot print enough money to offset this fact.

Gold goes down as do most assets as we experience deflation.

We are experiencing deflation now, it will become obvious soon.

#36     Jan 28, 2010
  7. We use terms such as "printing presses" and "helicopter" in describing monetary policy, but I take issue with those representations of fighting deflation. A Helicopter and a printing press are tangible machines that are slow to start and have limits.

No... money creation by the Fed is a computer endeavor - a mere striking of a keyboard and Congress, of course, has the fiscal tool:

Senate Approves Amendment to Raise Debt Ceiling by $1.9 Trillion http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704878904575031213535642690.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_5

And Helicopter Ben:

Senate confirms Bernanke for second term as Fed chief, 70 to 30 http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dcnow/2010/01/bernanke-wins-key-senate-vote-.html

I'm not ruling out a period of deflation.... but....

The die is cast.....

#37     Jan 28, 2010
  8. sumfuka

sumfuka

Selling right now, would be like selling in 1975, yes you would made a killing. But perhaps missed the grand prize 3-4 years later.

#38     Feb 1, 2010
  9. rew

rew

If you bought tech stocks at the end of 1999, you would *still* have lost your shirt. I guess that means you should never buy tech stocks. Right now my government is carrying out a very interesting experiment -- for how long can we fund fully half of all federal expenditures by issuing new debt (at the same time rolling over trillions of dollars of previously issued short term debt). If this experiment doesn't ultimately result in massive inflation I'll be amazed.

#39     Feb 1, 2010
  10. wouter

wouter

Cool I'll buy your shares!

#40     Feb 4, 2010