It is impossible

Discussion in 'Trading' started by intradaybill, Apr 30, 2008.

1. The stock market isn't a zero-sum game because stocks aren't simply ONLY investments traded from one person to another.

Businesses inject money in via dividends/buybacks so wealth is constantly being created and so value is added overtime.

If you subtract all the injections by businesses then yes it can be considered zero-sum.

The context of the 95% statistic is too vague since it is unclear what exactly the pool of people is the 95% representing. Also, is the 5% meaning people who are consistently profitable trading or professional? Or merely people who don't lose it all? Or people who beat the market?

I think what is correct is... 5% of people who set out to try to consistently make money in the stock market actually succeed in becoming professional.

Regardless I'm sure the 5% is made up on the spot anyways. What matters is that its a very small percentage.

#11     Apr 30, 2008
  2. hmm...I didn't know they still made Pacers

#12     Apr 30, 2008
  3. Please, do not convert this thread into another zero-sum debate.

I posed specific questions that have nothing to do directly with the zero-sum game or not.

I appreciate your attention.

Bill

#13     Apr 30, 2008
  4. Someone posted a ways back -- I forget who it was or I'd give them credit -- a CPA firm reported that 36% of traders win (based on the returns they did) but less than 5% of them made enough money to do it for a living.

#14     Apr 30, 2008
  5. heypa

heypa

Someone stated that there was an upward bias to the equity markets.This is a very commonly stated falsehood.All the commonly published charts are not adjusted for the fake gummint published inflation let alone a real inflation rate. I know you can argue that short term it doesn't matter. I think it does matter since I agree we trade in short term but live in the long term hopefully.Why else bother with any of this.
    If any one believes this is a zero sum game minus costs then he should know as any real gambler ( Excuse me. It's called gaming now a days) knows there is no way to win long term. If you are lucky enough to get substantially ahead. Take your gains and run.
    PROFITS ARE LUCK. SMALL LOSES ARE SKILL. A motto to live by. It takes your ego out of the game.

#15     Apr 30, 2008
  6. The numbers sound very reasonable to me since most trade noise and end up either slightly up or down.

But I constantly hear about this 95% losers and if it is true then something must befundamentally wrong or incomprehensible.

Bill

#16     Apr 30, 2008
  7. Since you disagree, then your logic must be incontrovertible...

#17     Apr 30, 2008
  8. monti1a

monti1a

I amend this...PROFITS ARE PROBABILITY-BASED LUCK. SMALL LOSSES RELATIVE TO THE SIZE OF YOUR WINS IS A SKILL.

#18     Apr 30, 2008
  9. Where did you see my dissagreement? Are you having a bad day or something? Do you have anything of value to contribute?

Bill

#19     Apr 30, 2008
  10. Hey Bill,

I would certainly like to think that more than 95% of traders are making gains on the balance.

However, I think that if someone is serious about making trading their living they need the right software, hardware, time, money and emotional balance to succeed which basically eliminates a vast proportion of potential traders.

I think that its also important to remember that most people who wish to start a 'business' usually do so with insufficient funds to cover losses, learn from mistakes and have live with delusions of grandeur both of which will kill any business and certainly finish a trader quickly.

Successful individual traders are certainly not huge in numbers which is great, but i hope for all our sakes that a living can be made from this extraordinary business.

Dave

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" ~Confucius

#20     Apr 30, 2008