It is IMPOSSIBLE to make money in the markets

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ripley, Aug 3, 2006.

1. actually the less stressful trading is the daytrading/scalping.......then u r in control every moment......less risk..........more short termand long term reward........u r there when it happens, not sleeping with loose stops required........does require more emotional capital........

#51     Aug 6, 2006
  2. cscott

cscott

If people are not successful, then daytrading is definitely NOT the way to go. Fact is that daytrading is even more stressful and nerve-racking, and more prone to execution errors since you must react quickly.

OTOH, when you swing or position trade, you just set your trade and go and do something else while you check on it perhaps once or twice a day. That takes out most of the emotions of trading, and in turn, provides less stress than short-term trading like daytrading. Daytrading can work, but it is definitely not for beginners or traders who are trying to turn around their losses.

Stops do not necessarily need to be any tighter to swing or position trade than to daytrade.

#52     Aug 6, 2006
  3. The S&P E-Mini has gone down/up/down/up and gained approximtely 5 pts from last monday-to-friday. In this same period of time if you had placed a trade on any given day you would have experienced anywhere from 6pts-to-8pts of drawdown/loss of gains on any/all of these days.
    At the same time it generated intra-day moves of greater than 8 pts per day, for those same 5 days, for a total of 40 pts which could have been captured on an intra-day (or "day trading") basis. (2 of those days would have required holding overnight).

So, could you please give us your definition of "swing trading or "position trading"?

Thanks,

Jimmy

#53     Aug 6, 2006
  4. Constant , day and night effort. No distractions.

#54     Aug 6, 2006
  5. I'm with you :)

#55     Aug 6, 2006
  6. I think that you, and a lot of people like you here at ET, are somewhat misguided. I certainly believe that more effort is better as is a single-mindedness of purpose, but up to a point. If you're busy chopping wood day and night, when do you get a chance to sharpen your axe?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...3647/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0454226-3766351?ie=UTF8

#56     Aug 6, 2006
  7. romik

romik

well somebody must be making the dough, otherwise judging by your statement all participants are losers in this "game" and THAT is more impossible than your point of view. Why do YOU find it impossible?

#57     Aug 6, 2006
  8. A very thoughtful post Tdog...but here it is on Sunday afternoon (somewhere) and your on ET:p. Some of my best trading ideas happen when I'm out taking a walk. Articles I've read come together with positions I've taken and usually a trading idea with a good result happens. It is however very difficult to maintain the balance needed to effectively chop that wood.

#58     Aug 6, 2006
  9. Well, posting on, or reading ET hardly qualifies as work. In fact, I was at Starbucks taking a short break from a bit of work when I wrote my earlier post. I was leisurely scrolling through ES back data charts testing a small modification to my present method. Interestingly, the idea just occurred to me while driving to the country yesterday morning. I think that you and I generally concur on this matter.

#59     Aug 6, 2006
  10. when u pull into the local fastfood joint drive thru and you search and search all the items until you find your stuff it gives a clear signal of what? i don't like what you like, most likely........that is why my simple little boring daytrading system which i like would be torn to shreds if printed here.....or anywhwere else probably.....and maybe deservedly so as it is not what is suitable for other traders just because i am happy with it....their psyche goals, etc., won't fit well with mine......that is why the burger is made so many different ways...beef...fish, bbq, veggie, etc, etc, ad nauseum........trying to force one's views on others creates instant defensive mode by most.....some systems do require quick reaction ........some don't......some are based on time, points moved in new direction........and a million more ways to capture points......most of pushing my stuff or yours is ego driven.....only......mark douglas helps .........

#60     Aug 6, 2006