it is as impossible for an individual to acquire personal property without society.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 6, 2012.

1. so, in a society of people like you it's impossible for an individual to retain his property.

everybody's poor as dirt

#21     Sep 6, 2012
  2. you may have accidentally stumbled on something we agree on. i am sure you will change your mind when you figure it out.

i have always said property taxes are immoral. they allow a means for government to seize property that you may have worked your whole life for if you have a bad streak of illness or unemployment. under property tax schemes you have to come up with money even if you have no means of income.
    that is why all taxes should be on income. if you earn money you share part of it. if you have a bad year and earn nothing you owe nothing. income taxes are the fairest tax.

#22     Sep 7, 2012
  3. Perhaps it is YOU who has stumbled your way in to my world of hard truths. Ever think of that? Well, did ya'? Huh? Did ya'?:D

#23     Sep 7, 2012
  4. This is at odds with the Thomas Paine quote which u opened the thread with. While I agree with you that property taxes are wrong, Paine might disagree. you acquire the property through society, it isn't yours. from his quote he is stating that a citizen of society must pay a portion of what he acquires through society - back in. That sounds like a sales tax imo. On the other hand he is saying that the producer of goods provided to a society keeps the profits of his labor.

Think of it like this.. if you own a company that's makes refrigerators, you are providing them to society, so YOU are entitled to the profits. If you purchase a refrigerator from this company, YOU are acquiring it through society, so you owe a portion of it back. This is much more fair if you think about it.

#24     Sep 7, 2012
  5. lol. maybe. so from now on when our resident right wingers on et,like jem, start sprouting off about how wrong an income tax is you will help me defend it as the fairest way to tax?

#25     Sep 7, 2012
  6. Most people agree that we need taxes and we need some form of government. The real question is "how much?"

I already "share" over 40% of my income. That's too much.

#26     Sep 7, 2012
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

WAY too much.

#27     Sep 7, 2012
  8. Hey, I've already said we should raise the cap the social security tax from 112K to 500K. They tore me to shreads for that one.
    I don't know that income is the fairest way, but it's a heck of a lot more fair than property taxes.

#28     Sep 7, 2012
  9. so were you upset that romney was able to slide by at between 0 and 13%?

#29     Sep 7, 2012
  10. No, because I don't know what his total taxes are.

When I say 40%, I'm including federal income taxes plus state income taxes, property taxes and sales taxes, all of which are high in California.

#30     Sep 7, 2012