it is as impossible for an individual to acquire personal property without society.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 6, 2012.

1. in the you republican "you didnt build it" canard something to consider:

Thomas Pain:

"Personal property is the effect of society; and it is as impossible
    for an individual to acquire personal property without the aid of
    society, as it is for him to make land originally.

Separate an individual from society, and give him an island or a
    continent to possess, and he cannot acquire personal property. He cannot
    be rich. So inseparably are the means connected with the end, in all
    cases, that where the former do not exist the latter cannot be obtained.
    All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man's
    own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes
    on every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part
    of that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came."

2. This, of course, will create cognitive dissonance to today's right wing, and will not be comment on. Simply wait for your one star.:D

3. This is so fundamentally basic, that I don't even think the right leaning group can or will come up an argument about this. We should all be thankful that we own our homes and properties, and have little fear of others or the government taking them over. I guess they could say something about eminent domain, but that's pretty much a right leaning talking point, so they will leave that alone to I guess.

4. You don't own anything you have to pay taxes on, and yes, the g-man can kick down your door anytime he likes, and take whatever he likes.
    That said, the repubs were wrong to take the presidents words out of context. We all know what he meant.

5. BSAM

BSAM

Did Thomas Pain have any history of drug abuse?

6. BSAM

BSAM

Yep.
    Not much different from North Korea.

7. is beachfront property valuable in somolia? think about it.

8. Ironically, in this excerpt, he is outright saying - you keep what YOU earn. In other words, you DID 'build it' and it is yours. You skipped that part I guess.

Applied to NOW: NO income taxes, YES a sales tax, YES a property tax. Also this is just according to Thomas PainE, one of many founders, so one of various opinions.. they didn't agree on everything. It is crystal clear in the Constitution and writings of other founders, that private property belongs to whoever acquires it legally, AND it is all govt's primary responsibility to protect an individuals private property.

I would like to point out, you don't own land, if it can be taken from you for not paying your tax (lease) on the property. Whether this was the intent of the founders in the majority is debatable (on land only). I was going to start it in the LVT thread but lost my ambition. Might as well do it here.

9. Shut up

10. wtf. you got that wrong.

#10     Sep 6, 2012