IT engineer compensation in a hedge fund

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by saminny, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DaveN

DaveN

http://www.linkedin.com

It's free to join and participate. Not nearly as time consuming as Facebook. It has more of a business/professional focus. http://www.linkedin.com/in/davenadeau; I'll be happy to connect. You can see some of the groups I'm referring to on my profile.

#11     Mar 23, 2009
  2. saminny

saminny

Thank you sir. I have a linkedln profile. I will send you an invite.

#12     Mar 24, 2009
  3. saminny

saminny

4. "what is the typical compensation for IT programmer doing systems development and data management in a hedge fund? (base + bonus). I currently work in a ibank and wondering if I should switch over."

No, I don't think you are glad you have a job. I think you are terrible deluded. Your mindset is still spring 2008.

Say you jump to a hedge fund to up your $$$. You don't really know what the new place is like. Then, you get laid off or are working 2-4 hours more a day.

If your situation is good where you are (like, EMPLOYED), you should stay there and prostrate yourself daily in thanks that you are not walking up and down Wall Street, handing out resumes and wearing posters asking for any type of financial job.

#15     Mar 24, 2009
  5. eagle

eagle

The best place to get such hidden information is inside the company you work for. You're doing great job for developing system but also you need to look around my friend besides the core task. Building a substantial contact is everything.

#16     Mar 24, 2009
  6. saminny

saminny

I am not deluded and I disagree that you should prostrate yourself everyday if you have a job. I think it is important to do well in the current job and stay hungry and ambitious in life, irrespective of times.

#17     Mar 24, 2009
  7. Hedge fund salaries are not as high as people on this forum think they are. For example, a senior director / partner at a hedge fund makes no more than $250k in salary. A less senior trader or analyst makes closer to $125k-$150k. However, these guys could easily take home multiples of those numbers in bonus IF the fund does well. If the fund is in the red for the year bonus is 0. This is the big difference between IB's and hedge funds. Salaries are somewhat higher at banks, and you can still get a bonus in "bad" years at a bank, but overall your bonuses will be smaller.

Coming in green without trading or investment experience your salary will be as low as $60k and your bonus in a good year will be about 20% of your salary. Good news is that if you are liked your compensation will go up fairly quickly. As far as a support/technology role, I would guess the going rate for an experienced person is about $80k-100k with a bonus up to 50% of your salary if the fund does well. Your mileage may vary and, for reference, these are all NYC-area figures.

#18     Mar 24, 2009
  8. saminny

saminny

Thank you for very informative answer.

#19     Mar 24, 2009
  9. I would "guess" that this has little meaning in this current economy. I mean SERIOUSLY. Again, the OP (Original Poster is talking like little has changed in the world.

As in the news: Quarter-Million Jobs Lost, mostly in NYC and London

The shakeout in global banking has untethered more than a quarter of a million people, most of them in New York and London, who thought they were in secure, well-paying jobs. Some were investment bankers and traders who, with cheap credit and a gambler’s view of risk, raked in millions of dollars in annual bonuses over the past five years. Others greased the wheels at companies once seen as pillars of corporate strength, such as Citigroup Inc., UBS AG and Merrill Lynch & Co.

All are now displaced, forced to reflect on their fall and to find their way in a job market where the biggest U.S. and European banks may spill tens of thousands more workers before the carnage is over. By some measures, these folks are lucky: They’re well educated and have some money to fall back on. Still, bankers are struggling with a plunge in prestige -- and little sympathy -- after a decade-long orgy of ramping up leverage and flogging subprime debt that has left the world’s economy in tatters and taxpayers with the bill.

#20     Mar 24, 2009