issues with charting in tws.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rtw, Jun 14, 2021.

1. rtw

rtw

i have been using tws for charting for a couple of days and it is as horrible as everyone knows. i installed the latest stable version, 981.3a mosaic.

i have two very simple questions:

- ¿is it possible to create a chart with 35 minute bars?

- ¿is it possible to create one single chart window that contains 6 1 minute charts for 6 different symbols?

ib does not have good resources - documentation for the tws, and their videos are all really old and only refer to the classic version of tws.

their client support is also awful, one sends a message and the people in india who initially process the tickets never have a clue. i think that other users should have much better knowledge of these matters.

very well, thanks, regards.

2. - ¿is it possible to create a chart with 35 minute bars? NO
    - ¿is it possible to create one single chart window that contains 6 1 minute charts for 6 different symbols? YES just make sure all the link chains (group window) are different colours in the top right of the chart settings.

3. maxinger

maxinger

It is free charting software.
    So just accept what is given free.

When you have progressed in your trading, go invest in
    a good charting software.
    Then you can do much more thing with a paid software.
    You have to pay a monthly fee
    of a few hundred dollars.

4. The platform is not mainly intended for charting and TA but it has its other uses and advantages depending on the trader/investor.

- ¿is it possible to create a chart with 35 minute bars? - I don't think you can. There is only the option of 30 min (and others except 35 min) when I scroll through the chart timeline

- ¿is it possible to create one single chart window that contains 6 1 minute charts for 6 different symbols?
    - You can create more than 6 depending on your screen size and computers hardware capability. On your watchlist just right click on each ticker symbol and load up a chart (There are even seconds charts 30 sec- 15 sec) But when you link them on 1 colour, they will end up switching to that symbol so you are gonna have to manually arrange your most followed stocks and maybe colour link 1 chart if you wanna switch. If there is another option to this I do not know so best bet is to submit a ticket. When you are done for the day, the platforms saves and uploads the settings so next time you log in, the setup is gonna pop up.

Hope that helps

5. For charting, many of our VPS customers use NinjaTrader and executing trades by connecting it to their IB brokerage account.

6. terr

terr

Use third party software that connects to IB. That could do what you want.

7. %%
    That could be a blessing in disguise/35 minutes is not anywhere close to reg market hours.Of course 1 hour charts are not also \ but easy to chop those 60 minutes in half=30 minutes
    Good question; i like 2 chart services as confirmation+ 1 of them= non broker:caution::caution:

8. rtw

rtw

thanks to everyone for your help and replies.

i had never used watchlist windows in tws and it turns out that they are quite good. and once one has created a list of symbols in a watchlist window it is indeed possible to then create a window containing multiple charts.

i do have one more question related to charting, i see that by default tws will draw charts right up to the right end of the screen. ¿is it possible to leave some empty space - bars between the right end and the information being plotted? i have tried but haven't been able to find a setting to achieve this.

very well, thanks, regards.

9. I think there isnt an option like that. You can shrink the chart but when you want a space after the last few bars there isnt an option. If there is I would like to know myself