Isreal has declared open war with Lebanon :D

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, Jul 13, 2006.

1. You don't understand Israeli culture. There is NO SUCH THING as a cannon fodder IDF soldier. When the IDF takes casualties, the entire nation mourns. When IDF soldiers get taken hostage, the entire nation is nervous & agitated.

#11     Jul 13, 2006
  2. To me,

The reaction seems out of proportion -- especially given the withdrawl of the settlements and the Hamas move towards de facto recognition of Israel.

When it was just the Palestinians I thought it might just be a case of "take what we offered as the alternatives are much worse." With the additional move into Lebanon I have to wonder -- esp given the "improving" situation there.

It could also be an attempt to establish a buffer zone in Lebanon in anticipation of an aggressive US movr in the Middle East -- I'm thinking Iran here.

We'll see over the month or so no doubt. Hard to do more than speculate when you're an outsider.

#12     Jul 13, 2006
  3. gkishot

gkishot

There is no such thing as proportion in military dictionary - enemy sould be overpowered. Period. One can argue that kidnapping of a sleeping soldier is out of proportion too. Proportion is a political term. What should be a proportional response?

#13     Jul 13, 2006
  4. It must be very difficult to be such a prophet, having such vision of the future, and not have people listen.

What a drag that must be...

#14     Jul 13, 2006
  5. Well, there is an upside to the ability.

I was flat broke and borrowing rent money from relatives at age 21... but a millionaire at age 24.
    How about you?

#15     Jul 13, 2006

6. Well,

A) The military does not direct policy it only implements it. Limiting your vocabulary to "military" terms only limits your options.

B) The entire history of the state of Israel demonstrates that the military option has only limited effectiveness.

More generally, coming down disproportionately hard now is likely to harden resistance rather than eliminate or reduce it. I suppose it's possible that the Palestinian and Lebanese peoples will eliminate the militia's as a result of Israel's attack but somehow I find that quite unlikely.

Just my $.02

#16     Jul 13, 2006
  7. Pabst

Pabst

Now only has your acute perception of events made you wealthy but also your tremendous ability to pull the trigger. You're an all to rare example of a truly bright guy being rewarded......

#17     Jul 13, 2006
  8. gkishot

gkishot

Military sends clear signals to those who direct policies on the other side. Anyway when it comes down to using military force I don't understand the notion of proportionality. Never read of it in history books. They say in the book: a la guerr come al guerra.

#18     Jul 13, 2006
  9. Peace, Luck & Health to you too!

#19     Jul 13, 2006
  10. Oh, if only I could be like you and be dependent on drugs and Russian sluts....

Let's just say we have different value systems...

However, thanks for confirming the old addage, money can't buy either love, happiness or class...

#20     Jul 13, 2006