Israeli Jets 'Incinerate' Fleeing Family

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PLATO2, Jul 16, 2006.

1. I'm wondering that with Iran building a serious military industrial complex, seeking nuclear weaponry, and with their fanatical anti- Western and anti-Semitic beliefs, that anyone outside of Iran could possibly defend them or their proxies on any level. I really cannot imagine that you people would actually be content to have a diplomatic solution to this situation which allowed Iran to continue their pursuit of nukes under the umbrella of peace. They have given us this opportunity and it is time to deal with what will definitely be a desperate future crisis if we don't. We may or may not like Israel or Jews, BUT at least they are not avowed to our destruction. Neville Chamberlains one and all.

#51     Jul 17, 2006
  2. hcour

hcour Guest

My, what a cheerful thread. War sure brings out the best in everybody, doesn't it?

Sure glad all you guys don't have nuclear weapons, there'd be nothing left of ET but barren wasteland. (Or should that be Baron wasteland?)

H

#52     Jul 17, 2006
  3. Just to let you know, the Muslims that are responsible for terrorism (as opposed to moderate Muslims who might not mind a few decades of peace) have sworn themselves to the destruction of Israel and the murder of every Jew walking the face of the earth.

Winning the favour of moderates is pointless - it is fanatics like Hezbollah and the foaming-mouthers in Iran that are going to impose their will, and moderate Muslims are too damn scared to speak up about it.

In light of this, I am not sure what you believe Israel could do to 'win their favour'. If you state that 'what Israel is doing now is not winning the favour of the Muslim population', then you must by inference believe that there is something that Israel could possibly do to win their favour.

Maybe turn over the secret for making brisket? Do you think that would do it? How about 1000 free Barbra DVDs?

No? You don't think so?

Now the only question that remains is, what weird non-sequitur or bizarre post from his personal image collection will Z-GOD provide in response?

By the way.... 5 years later, here in Canada, we are still waiting for an organized, unequivocal and ongoing condemnation of 9/11 from the mainstream Muslim community. All we have is silence. Again, it is clear the 'moderate' Muslims, whomever or wherever they are, are not able to control the bloodthirsty minorities (yes, I am an optimist, I admit it - I will use the word minorities). How many seats does Hezbollah have in the Lebanese parliament? 14 out of 128?

There is no question in my mind that there are Lebanese that are saying 'What in the fuck are you guys (Hezbollah) doing? We just got the fucking infrastructure rebuilt'.

#53     Jul 17, 2006
  4. <b>The Arab mind-set</b>
    July 17,2006
    By Barry Rubin

The crisis sparked by Hamas and Hizbullah is more important and revealing in psychological terms for the Arab world than any military or direct political impact. The most poignant statement of its meaning is a leading Arab liberal's anguished cry in a letter, summing up how these events mark the death of the dream of democracy and pragmatism among his people:

<b>"I have been watching some 20 Arabic-speaking television channels (Egyptian, Emirate, Qatari, Syrian, Sudanese, Lebanese and Kuwaiti). The outcome is: Either these (hundreds of) people who appeared on the screen(s) and talked passionately about 'our' dignity, raising 'our' heads, 'our' national pride and the victory that God will grant 'us' were mad, or I am the one who represents madness." </b>

In short, extremist groups with an assist from the media controlled by Arab regimes can still stir up the old-time hysteria quite successfully. <b>Who needs peace, stability, economic progress, women's rights, an independent judiciary, an accurately reporting media, control of corruption, a good educational and health system, free speech and all that stuff when you can kidnap Israelis? </b>

Of what importance is the Arab weakness in commercial hi-tech if you can purchase a rocket that hits an Israeli patrol boat? Why keep your children in school learning how to make a living if they can be deployed as martyrs?

This analysis is not mere cynicism; it is the actual situation in the Arab world. Once again, as happened so often in past decades, the terrorists (with a little help from the privileged) are directing events.

And rather than abandon the idea of finding the right murderous savior, much of the Arab world has just switched to the latest fad and the newest messiah.

<b>Gamal Abdel Nasser, Hafez Assad, Saddam Hussein, Yasser Arafat, and Osama bin Laden all failed. But no lesson is drawn from this. Now it is on the Hamas-Hizbullah axis that people place their faith.</b>

Iran, of course, is the patron of both groups and played a central role in provoking the crisis. Yet while Iran may be the only indigenous regional power, its direct gains are going to be limited.

THE ARABS in general are not giving credit to Teheran. After all, the whole point of this being an Arab and (Sunni) Muslim victory is ruined if the new hero is Persian and Shi'ite.

Lebanon is playing both sides at once. Christians, Druse and even Sunni Muslims are angry that Hizbullah has dragged them into the war, destroyed their tourist industry and wrecked the prospects for the country's economy for years to come. In private, Lebanese say they would like Israel to wipe out Hizbullah for them. Publicly, though, most Lebanese politicians are standing beside Hizbullah and will not lift a finger to help.

Nobody should have any illusions about the Lebanese government doing anything even if the whole country is leveled. The country's leaders simultaneously use, fear, and support Hizbullah. To cheer on the extremists protects their careers, and none of them have gotten where they are today by caring very much about the nation's interest.

HAMAS AND Hizbullah are now in the drivers' seat of the Arab world. It is worth underlining the fact that these two groups were supposedly going to be moderated by winning elections and participating in governments.

Now we know that the effect went the other way: The situation gets pushed in a radical direction when terrorists are in government.

This does not mean, however, that Arab regimes are altogether pleased with these developments, even if they will often exploit them demagogically to build support while blaming all their problems on Israel, the United States, and the West. They are quite happy if their people believe that fighting Israel, rather than their own corrupt dictatorships, is what needs to be done.

Still, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and others are horrified. Current events also threaten them, both by emboldening their own radical Islamist opponents and possibly bringing wider regional instability. In the unprecedented words of an official Saudi statement: "A difference should be drawn between legitimate resistance and rash adventures carried out by elements... without consultation or coordination with Arab countries, thus creating a gravely dangerous situation exposing all Arab countries and [their] achievements to destruction with those countries having no say."

I think the Saudis are right to be nervous, though wrong to keep playing the game of whipping the radical and Islamist horses forward with one hand (money and propaganda) and trying to rein them in with the other (repression and a bit of persuasion). This type of maneuver keeps them in power in the short run, but may end up by burying them in the long run.

AS FOR the long-term consequence of this crisis, I think that after the rockets and guns stop firing the big effect will be to fully reinstate the folly. As the Arab world rediscovers (if it ever forgot) that fighting Israel is more emotionally satisfying than fighting dictatorship or socioeconomic stagnation, the old pattern will prove as strong as ever.

<b>There will be no real democracy, peace, or rapid progress for the Arab world in this decade and, more likely than not, in the next one either.</b>

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=1&cid=1150886019700&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

#54     Jul 17, 2006
  5. bsmeter

bsmeter

#55     Jul 17, 2006
  6. bsmeter

bsmeter

I agree with the author. As long as they have the oil, Jews and Neocons will make sure they have no peace.

As a note of interest. The Iranian mess began with the CIA overthrowing a elected Iranian leader for a puppet Shah. You can't blame them for their cynical view of the U.S. and it's puppets in the region. What is even more interesting is that the Iranians actually do vote for their leaders. Unlike the U.S. puppets like Egypt, Jordan and the Wahabi rag-head terrorists AKA Saudi Arabia.

#56     Jul 17, 2006
  7. I suggest you learn a little bit about the Iranian 'democratic process', before commenting on how <i>different</i> it is from Egypt.

#57     Jul 17, 2006
  8. Sometimes I think that nuking Israel might be the simplest solution.

What on earth do non-Zionists actually get out of their countries - like America - supporting Israel? Can anyone think of one positive?

Can anyone remember America ever having a 'mid-East problem' before Israel came on the scene?

Considering Israel 'our great allies' is just so much Zionist horseshit that I can't belive I ever fell for it in the first place. (Actually, that's not true. I think I know very well why. Something about some 'six million' or something like that. But let's not talk about that.)

#58     Jul 17, 2006
  9. traderob

traderob

From a purely strategic perspective America gets a military outpost right in the heart of a huge group of armed Muslims that wish only that they could nuke USA, and the rest of the free world. For a relatively small amount of aid, about the same as they give to Egypt and co. USA is getting the deal of a lifetime IMO.
    Why Europe and the some of Amercia's allies can't see this is probably because of s dominant liberal standpoint that thinks the Muslims are just like any other religion

#59     Jul 17, 2006
  10. I refer you to what I wrote above: Can anyone remember America ever having a 'mid-East problem' before Israel came on the scene?

#60     Jul 17, 2006